Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Florida wild life

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Florida wild life

Postby liz » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:29 am

There are so many turtles on the move right now that many are being hit by cars. The rescues are doing their best to fix their shells. They have found that bra hooks work well to attach together the shells.

Good Day Tampa Ball sent out a request for bra hooks.

Most people do not realize that the shell of a turtle is part of the turtle and they can feel pain in it. I wish there were pain meds to give to the turtles.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:32 am

Yes, I read about the bras clasps. They hold the shell together until it heals itself. And I am sure that there are painkillers for turtles - I mean, they do surgery on them so, if nothing else, there is anesthetic. Years ago, that's all we had for cats and once I asked my vet to put one of my cats under for a few hours because she was in so much pain from her eye surgery that she wasn't eating or drinking and I remembered reading in a James Herriot book (he was a vet in Wales who wrote books about his country practice) that there was this sheep that was literally dying from diarrhea and pain (this is all from memory so it might not be 100% accurate - he had tried to treat it but he couldn't get it better) so the owner decided to put it down. So he went to the farm and gave the sheep what he considered a dosis of anesthesia large enough to kill the poor emaciated animal. The sheep went under and he figured it would die in a few minutes and left it. By that afternoon, when he went back, the farmer told him it was still alive but sleeping. When the sheep woke up (I think it slept for an entire day) it drank and ate and it started getting better from them on! From this, he figured that, sometimes, the body is so stressed out from pain that it cannot get better and that putting them under and allowing the body to rest without pain gives it the ability to start healing on its own. It made sense to him and it made sense to him and you know what? It worked with my cat, too!

I read that the way to help turtles that need to cross a road, street, highway or whatever on their route to their nesting place is to make a tunnel under it so they can cross it without any danger.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:46 am

Wile out yesterday, Charles saw a turtle in the road. He turned around to go back and help it cross the road. In that amount of time someone ran over it. The shell was shattered and it was bleeding really bad. It would never have made it to a rehab center so he put it out of it's misery. The only way we could tell it was still alive was the bleeding. Charles was so angry and sick to his stomach. It took him a while to calm down.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:23 am

Oh, WOW, poor turtle and poor Charles! I hate to see dead animals on the road or to the side. I don't know why people are so cruel... all it would have taken was to swerve a bit to avoid it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:06 am

When you see an opossum hit in the road, if you can, stop and check it's pouch. It may still have live babies.

GDTB has a video of a bear who got into a back yard to raid the bird feeder. The neighbors dog went over and ran him out of the yard.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:10 am

Well, that dog was lucky! I would never allow my dogs to go after a bear.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:29 am

no one told the dog to do it.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:57 am

No, I am sure that the owners did not tell the dog to do it but the dog was out there loose and unsupervised. When I lived in Pa, there was a bear that came almost everyday and walked around the house so I never allowed the dogs to stay out for long, I was there with them all the time and 'there' was a large dog run that had an 8 ft privacy fence all around so no animals could get in. If there is a lot of wildlife where one lives, one needs to take precautions...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:16 am

Liz, look! This is what I was talking about when you mentioned all those turtles getting crashed by cars on the roads.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lif ... li=BBnbfcL
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:46 am

A little gator joined in on a picnic.

Three endangered Florida Panthers were seen in a back yard drinking from a swimming pool. It was a mother and two large cubs.

My friend had a bear visit her swimming pool at night for a couple nights before he moved on.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic