Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Florida wild life

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Florida wild life

Postby Rmoses » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:14 pm

quote by Liz: I can understand how the kittens have been picked off by hawks but could not believe that my big cat fell prey to the hawks. Charles said he saw a hawk being chased by a Bald Eagle.

Liz, maybe you are also dealing with coyotes in your area.
Rick
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:26 am

Rick, that is quite possible. We also have wild cats here.

One night I left Jake loose in the horse field. He was barking out of control. My son called me to put him back in his kennel. When I went out he came running to me and was very scared. He did not quiet until he was in the safety of his dog lot. I don't know what it was but it must have been more than he thought he could handle.

I find a lot of tracks in the field. There are mother and baby raccoon tracks going into the dog lot for water.

Every morning I would find holes in the hay in the tack room. I would mess them up but find another one the next morning. I never found out what it was but Jake was not afraid of it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby liz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:13 pm

We had some really bad storms last week. It usually is dry in the winter. None of the black cows were out but the white birds were flying circles looking for them.

Today the black cows were out. There were white calves scattered among them. I don't get it.

Ran out of cigs with no one up to run to the store for me. We live in a somewhat rural area with each of us having more than an acre. About a mile down the road is the start of a shopping area. The Dollar General was followed by a post office, gas station, car garage, Italian Restaurant and some kind of weird store that has a fire works sign.
When I came out of the gas station I noticed movement in the road. It turned out to be two young Bald Eagles playing war in the road. They would both jump in the air and kick each other before falling down. They did not yet have all their white feathers. What a sight. Glad we are rural and not much traffic.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Wolf » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:06 am

It sort of depends on the hawk. Most hawks can carry about 70% of their own weight and many of them are large enough to kill and carry off a grown rabbit which is roughly the same size as a domestic house cat. They can easily kill one that is too large for them to carry off, but then if they can eat enough of it first then they may still be able to carry off the carcass.

It is because of the feral cats out here and the large number of predatory birds such as hawks and eagles in my area that I built a fully enclosed pen for my Lady's cats. Nothing can get to them from the ground or from the air.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:54 am

There is an invasive snake roundup going on here. So far 50 have been found. The largest is a 15 foot long boa.

There are so many critters in Florida that I should not have been surprised when I check what the cat was playing with. She found a snake the size of a pensile that was black with a bright red head. It was trying to live in the leaves that pile up at the front of the house. My son Charles told me it was okay and not poison.
When I found her smacking another one about the same size I put a flower pot on it. It got away before Charles could look at it. I told him it was a mean one and even turned to show me it's little fangs.
He went ballistic and told me "not to work in my flower bed" until he or Rachel had time to clear the leaves. Of course neither one has done it. I think he is giving me more rules than I ever gave him.

That was a surprise. I spelled invasive and ballistic. I am proud of me.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:07 am

:lol: Yes, you did spell them right.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alienlady » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:33 am

I'm so glad that I'm in England :lol: All those predators would drive me nuts!
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby liz » Thu May 25, 2017 5:33 am

When I heard this I thought of Wolf. He loved hearing about the wildlife.

Alligators are causing car crashes. First it was a car and the driver could not see the gator at night that was crossing the road. They blend in. Gator died. Humans went to hospital.

The next night a motorcycle hit a gator. Gator died. Human will be hospitalized for a while.

A bear went into a neighborhood and was scared up a tree. The poor thing was there quite a while. It could not come down with so many people hanging around watching it.

I know there are others in this forum in FL. Do you have any stories?
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:21 am

My cousin had an Emu make it's break last week. Easter, the Emu, has been in Good Day Tampa Bay to find him. GDTB ran the info every 15 minutes. The police and news people were involved in finding him. He was found after many sightings reported, in the neighbors pasture. I guess he went "walk about". GDTB reported all sightings. He made a big loop while "walk about" and decided to go back home. He missed it very close to home.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:28 am

Good thing he was found before he got hurt or hurt somebody! Back home, we have rheas -which are a bit smaller than emus- and they can be the meanest things when they feel threatened!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic