Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Teaching Beak Pressure

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Teaching Beak Pressure

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:44 am

So I had the courage today to let Tiko hold my hand and bite on it softly and she has gone a little hard and nipped twice and the only thing that seems to make her go a little gentle is saying "No" or "Go easy" so I'm thinking is there any other way to teach her that its not good behaviour?
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Teaching Beak Pressure

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:47 pm

What I do is touch the top of the beak with the tip of my finger (kind of like tapping it but very, very gently) and say "Gently, gently" and, when they reduce the pressure, praise them. It takes a number of tries and some time to achieve the desired result (namely, that the bird learns to hold your finger or whatever in her beak without putting undue pressure on it) but it works.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:52 pm

Pajarita wrote:What I do is touch the top of the beak with the tip of my finger (kind of like tapping it but very, very gently) and say "Gently, gently" and, when they reduce the pressure, praise them. It takes a number of tries and some time to achieve the desired result (namely, that the bird learns to hold your finger or whatever in her beak without putting undue pressure on it) but it works.

Ill try that next time thanks, Its funny how my stepdad moves in a only then we realise she never needed to be re tamed lol and never was this scary monster we thought needed to stop biting.We should have known like what kind of un tamed biting bird gives kisses before bed and steps up :lol:
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:13 pm

:lol: Ahhh, yes, that's 'chemistry' at work. It has happened to me a few times with animals that are considered 'nasty' or aggressive but they just seemed to love me at first sight.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General & Off Topic