Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrots and Other Pets in the Home . . .

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrots and Other Pets in the Home . . .

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:43 pm

NJBirdMan wrote:I don't think I will be getting an "Off-season" bird. I'm trying to find information regarding when parrots are born, or are supposed to be born. I thought birds were born in the Spring. I guess that's why every Bird Store told me they have no Senegal Parrots at this time.

I know, Pajarita, though what you are speaking of. I had a Friend who bred very expensive cats.
In his Cattery, which was in his basement, he would keep the "Lights On" constantly to force the females to go into heat. I thought it odd, but I think it has something to do with what you are
speaking about regarding Light cycles and bird breeding.

If he is setting up the birds for breeding in November, the birds are been forced into an off-season breeding season because no bird breeds during the winter.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby NJBirdMan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:05 pm

The information I read regarding Senegals indicated that the Eggs are laid between February and May. This would coincide with what the Bird Store told me. A Senegal would not be available for me until Spring 2017.
Patrick
NJBirdMan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, 1 Female Senegal Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:21 pm

Yes, you can start setting them up in late February but they would not breed until, earliest, four weeks later (they have to go into complete breeding condition -which requires longer days- courtship and nesting before they lay) so, although the babies can be born in May (which would be just right), unless they are selling the babies as soon as they hatch, the babies would not be ready in May. And there is a big difference between setting them up two months after equinox and setting them up one month BEFORE the equinox. Think of how short the days are in, say, late November and how much longer they are at the end of February...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby NJBirdMan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:24 am

...... Well at this point, I'm not exactly sure when a Senegal will be available for me. I'm totally confused. I was trying to put a timeline on this, but I see there is no way I can really know, because I don't know when the birds will breed, when the eggs will be laid, and without that
I can't calendar when a Senegal will be available for me approximately.
Patrick
NJBirdMan
Lovebird

Postby liz » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:00 am

Though a baby bird is a lot of fun there are many young ones already being passed around from home to home or worse. All of my critters are rescues who really needed me and they know it.

Once they reach maturity their personalities change a lot. I would and did get most of mine from Craigslist. Most came with no information about their backround and even came without names.
Myrtle was 1 when I got her in 2011. She became a lot more outgoing after her first hormonal season and now believes she is in charge.
Rambo/Rainbow came to me at age 15 in the year 2000. He came with a big personality already and jumped right into the chaos of my home the very first day. I knew nothing about the larger parrots until he taught me. I am very pleased with how they have joined into the family.

I have a flock of 12 rescued cockatiels. 3 of them I have had for about 16 years. The rest came as individuals or pairs and I even took a family of 4. Each has it's own little personality. Since they have become a flock, Tommy is the only one of the 3 that will still step up. None of the newer ones want to be touched but will come and tweet or sing to me. They will also use me as their perch. The added 9 came from very bad places and remember where they came from. I thought the handicapped would never trust another human but have blossomed into being flock members with me in the flock.

Please consider a rescue or rehome. Navre has been volunteering at an avian rescue. He started to see what species has what personalities before taking in another bird but now loves all of them and tells us about them and their personalities. If you do volunteer at a rescue you will probably find the right bird for you. It may have arrived at the rescue with no history info but Navre is learning their personalities. We love reading about the birds that he cares for.

Long story short please consider a rescue or rehome that has already started developing it's personality.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby NJBirdMan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:01 am

Hi Liz - thanks for your reply. I have already reached out to the 3 Bird Rescue/Adoption Groups in the State of New Jersey. All of the other Groups in the State are Bird Sanctuaries that do not Adopt out. To date, I have not been notified that there are any Senegals available for Adoption.
Patrick
NJBirdMan
Lovebird

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic