Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Birds of Prey

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Birds of Prey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:50 pm

Got to see some amazing birds of prey and held this huge owl, Poor Milo was scared of the big hawk and he layed down in my hands getting scratches and then I gave him to my mam to hold while I got a picture with the owl I cant remember what kind of owl but it was the biggest he had and heavier than a Macaw lol.I'd upload pics but there are so many.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Birds of Prey

Postby liz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:55 am

I am sure that Milo was scared. He may have been living with humans all his life but he still has the prey instincts.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:09 pm

Bringing pet birds to venues where there are other birds is BIG risk! And exposing a prey animal to a predator is very stressing to the poor prey animal...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:33 pm

Pajarita wrote:Bringing pet birds to venues where there are other birds is BIG risk! And exposing a prey animal to a predator is very stressing to the poor prey animal...

I really wasn't thinking I was just excited to go and usually I would have brought Mango but because I was bird sitting I decided why not take cute little Milo and I was very scared myself I thought that Hawk was gonna jump at me so I gave Milo to my mam and she went inside the pet store with him.I also told them about Tiko and they shared it on their Facebook page.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:34 pm

liz wrote:I am sure that Milo was scared. He may have been living with humans all his life but he still has the prey instincts.

True that :) except he's living with better owners now than where he was in the pet store
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby liz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:31 pm

I was not saying anything about his current care. I was saying he has the natural fear of a prey animal still in him.

My little cockatiels had never been outside and did not know about birds of prey. That did not stop them from freaking out when the owl wanted in.

I was worried about hawks where I live now. There are so many. I was afraid they would crash through the screens and get my cockatiels. Even scaring them would be bad. My son built a frame and put hardware cloth in it. He used the kind of paint that Pajarita suggested. Nothing can get them now and they all love sitting in the window. Since Gimpy cannot sit on the sill now I had to put a table up there for him.
Last edited by liz on Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:34 pm

liz wrote:I was not saying anything about his current care. I was saying he has the natural fear of a prey animal still in him.

My little cockatiels had never been outside and did not know about birds of prey. That did not stop them from freaking out when the owl wanted in.

Yes I know what you meant I was just pointing that out
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Return to General & Off Topic