Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I'm buying her.

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

I'm buying her.

Postby notscaredtodance » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:00 pm

I know many of you will be disappointed but, after a lot of debating logically back and forth, an emotional moment finally pushed me over the edge to go ahead and buy the senegal at the store that I work at and am so bonded to.

A woman came in, she'd been in 3 or 4 times looking at the sun conure, and just bought it. I boxed him up for her and off she went, and I'm never going to see that bird again. He was a sweetheart of course, but not nearly as much of a companion as my senegal. If I had to box her up and give her to someone else, I'd be absolutely torn apart.

Some pros of getting the senegal:
She'll be in a 2'x2'x4' tall cage, rather than an 18"x18"x18"
She won't have children sticking their fingers in through cage bars or banging on the front of it.
She will get a healthier diet now that I can spend my own money on fresh fruits and veggies, rather than using a strict store budget that only allows a pellet/seed mix.
She will be more stimulated with a toy rotating system, rather than "leave it in there until it breaks. then get something else. or dont"
She will have more one on one time. Even though I see her frequently at work, it's not for quality bonding or taming time, just a quick hello and head rub through cage bars because I have to work.
She'll have all the different sized perches to keep her feet strong.
She'll have a more sterile water system than a wide open stainless steel dish.
She'll be with her human.
She won't have to keep her wings clipped.

Cons:
I do have two dogs which means her downstairs time with the family will be limited for safety reasons.
She will be spending six hours a day alone while I'm at work 4 days a week.
She will probably eventually become an apartment bird when I do move out of my parents' house in a few years. Never a dorm bird though.
She won't have as much routine as in the pet store, where feeding and cage cleaning time was the same time every day.

Anything to add? If there's one thing I hate on forums more than trolls who just want to stir up trouble, it's people who pretend they are the perfect bird owner. I realize buying a bird from a shop is not ideal but I think me taking her is the lesser of the two evils. I realize I am buying her just because I don't want to lose her to someone else which is a selfish reason to own a bird. I realize I am going against very sound advice of experienced bird owners who don't think I should own a parrot. But she's my bird and I love her :(
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Re: I'm buying her.

Postby Chicklet » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:31 pm

Hi, I think that if you know you can give her a good life..and from my experiences of working in a petstore, you having the little senegal will be a much better life for her. I am also 18 and am going to college to be a vet tech, I have a very busy schedule but there is always time for my birds. I have 5 and they are my top priority, I've found that studying while you have them out of the cage and with you helps. My birds are happy, healthy well adjusted parrots and I know I'm not the "perfect" parrot owner but my birds have an enriched life and they get an hour or more out of the cage daily and 6-8 hours out on the weekends. They also have cages way beyond the "minimum" size required for the species though.

One thing that would help her pass the time while you're at school is to make sure she has lots of foraging toys and new stuff often. I find it helps to make your own toys, my birds love them and its more cost effective.
Rista~Senegal
Briar~Sun Conure
Finn~Budgie
George~Budgie
Ralph~Budgie
Chicklet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal. Sun Conure. Budgies.
Flight: Yes

Re: I'm buying her.

Postby pchela » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:10 am

You sound like you are devoted to her. If you can give her a happy life then why would anybody berate you for buying her? Just take care of her! I hand raised parrots at a pet store for 2 years and I understand how difficult it is to watch somebody else take your baby away and never knowing if they are really taken care of or not. You sound like you know what you are doing. The only problem would be your age but not every young person is the same. Good luck to you both.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Return to General & Off Topic