Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Trying to Adopt from a Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Trying to Adopt from a Parrot Rescue

Postby NJBirdMan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:16 am

A few weeks ago, I contacted a local Parrot Rescue here asking if they had any Senegal Parrots
that needed a new home. The Adoption Coordinator indicated they did not but asked if I would
be interested in a Pionus. I agreed to look at the bird, unaware that they did not as yet have the
bird in their possession. I completed online the Adoption Application and submitted it. I was then
told by the Coordinator that there were other requirements that had to be met --- they wanted
a video of the location in my home where the bird cage would be housed; they required a telephone interview; they required (2) personal references that they could contact; and they told
me that my Application would have to be approved by the Board of Directors. Initially I said no,
I was not interested in going thru with the Adoption, and would purchase my parrot outright.
I have since reconsidered, and thought it really would be a good thing to give a Parrot a new
home. So I took photo's of my home and the location the bird cage would be located and
submitted it.

I am still waiting for a reply from the Adoption Coordinator. Has anyone else had this type of
experience with a Parrot Rescue Organization ?
Patrick
NJBirdMan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, 1 Female Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Trying to Adopt from a Parrot Rescue

Postby liz » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:58 am

Rescued birds have been through hell. The rescue wants to make sure their hell will be over. I have been that severe when finding homes for critters.

Once I met a person who really wanted a dog and asked me to help. I don't know why this person did not want to go to a shelter. I knew a woman who was overwhelmed by the number of animals she had rescued and visited her to see if she was willing to give one a good home that I had already checked out. It worked for both of them.

I was rejected when I wanted to adopt from Red Dog Farm. I understood when they said I had too much chaos in my house. It worked out better. I found Myrtle on CL. She needed a home more than those who had made it to a shelter. The chaos of my house worked out for her. She felt that she was invisible and lost her fear a little faster than if my house was quiet.

I have since used CL for the cockatiels that I rescued.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:45 am

That's about normal, I'd say. We do a home visit, to ensure that the bird is going to a good place. If you are a renter, we require written approval from your landlord.

Thanks for considering a rescue bird. Look at it this way... We sometimes have these birds for a long time. We love them, and we feel like they're ours, and in some way, they are. We just want to do everything we can to ensure that they are going to a good place, not to a breeder, not to a flipper, not to someone who is going to take them outside unharnessed, or someone who doesn't think it's a big deal to have teflon cookware because "they're really careful."

When someone has to relinquish a bird, we promise them that we will go through all this to be a sure as the can that the bird will get a good, safe, forever home. People actually pay a fee to relinquish the bird. They could sell most of these birds, with cage, on Craigslist, but they spend money to trust us to find the best place for their bird. It's why we can't make exceptions. We have made a commitment to the birds, and the people who care enough to relinquish them, rather than sell them.

Sure, it's easier to buy a bird. But baby birds usually love everyone. That can change when a bird reaches maturity. An adult bird already has a personality, we can tell you what or who the tend to like, and you can see how a bird reacts to you. If an adult bird loves you, he probably always will.
Last edited by Navre on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:50 am

I just finalized the adoption of a Senegal yesterday. We do have one more Senegal, but he is not available for adoption (long story).

Both of these birds are sweet little birds. I have heard that they can be aggressive, but it was not the case in the two that we have had recently.

NJ is out of our sevice area, but you might want to contact Connecticut Parrot Rescue. They may have a Senegal.

It sounds a little strange that a rescue would be trying to place a bird they didn't have. Maybe they know that one is being relinquished, soon.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby NJBirdMan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:10 pm

Thank you for the reply. Well, in this particular scenario, I guess what has bothered me about it
is that the Adoption Coordinator asked me to consider this Pionus - without telling me that she/they are not yet in possession of this bird, and have no idea when the surrender will take
place, and that they have no information on the Pionus. So, I went thru all of this work and online
Application, and sending photographs only to be told they don't know when they will receive this
bird. Needless to say, I was somewhat annoyed.

As far as the Connecticut Rescue group goes, I have already been in contact with them, but they
are way to far away from me here in Southern New Jersey to consider driving to Connecticut from here.

I initially said no to the Pionus, then reconsidered, and felt it really was the right thing to do,
but that was before I found out that the Rescue Group here does not even have the bird in their
possession as yet, and doesn't know when the Pionus will be surrendered to them.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that perhaps, just maybe, this will work out for me.
If not, I will be purchasing a Senegal in the Spring.
Patrick
NJBirdMan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, 1 Female Senegal Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:57 pm

I agree with their requirements because, as John (Navre) said, a rescue has the moral responsibility of ensuring the bird will be well taken care of, not exploited, that it's not a sudden whim, etc. but I do agree with you that offering you a bird they did not have without actually telling you this was not acceptable. In their defense I might say that, sometimes, volunteers don't follow the guidelines they are given (and I know this firsthand because I was in charge of the volunteers, doing the training and such, for a while at the dog and cat rescue).

I'll say it again, check with A Helping WIng, John and Jeanne are real good people and I am sure they will work with you.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:13 pm

I know that when we are full, we have tried to put people looking for a bird, who we have already approved, together with people who are waiting for us to have space so they can relinquish. Maybe that's what they were thinking here. Maybe the current owner balked at the idea of having people come to their home to visit the bird.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:00 am

I don't know why they are trying to rehome a bird that they don't have yet. The advantage of adopting from a rescue is that they have had the bird long enough to know it's likes and dislikes. They have learned how it reacts emotionally to different situations. They have basically recorded a history that you would not get from a pet shop or CL.

Navre knows all of this. I don't know how he does it. I would probably not be able to let go of the birds after learning their personalities.

Myrtle came from a very dark, neglected and scary place. I knew nothing about her and the woman who had her a year did not have enough concern for her to tell me anything about her.
I adopted her sight unseen like most of my cockatiels. I kind of got an idea of what she was going through by the right up on CL and knew that I had to have her even if she was mean. Mean can be caused by anything. She was skinny, dirty and scared almost out of her mind. I had to piece together what little the woman said about her.

You get more knowledge when you adopt from a rescue. Read Navre and Friends. Navre has picked up on their personalities and will tell all to the adopter.

Like I said, the birds in the rescue are now safe and cared for. A CL bird can be anything. I prefer to go to CL to save one that has not made it to a safe place even if they are much more work.

I never learned to dance but really wore myself out dancing for Myrtle. It was a way for her to lean about me. I must have done something right. She has evolved into a beautiful, loving and proud bird.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:10 am

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14190

This is the thread about the rescue, Rhode Island Parrot Rescue. I haven't been posting there too much lately. We took in over 100 birds from a neglect/abuse case, but there is still an open criminal case on the matter, so I can't post much about them.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:14 am

Liz, I know from my 20 years on the fire department that you rescue those in the greatest danger, first. (nit always, but generally)

I agree that getting a bird off Craigslist is taking a bird whose future is more in doubt. Even if it turned out to be a horrible match and you just couldn't keep the bird for whatever reason, YOU could then bring it to a rescue.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Next

Return to General & Off Topic