Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Tops Pellets brand

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Tops Pellets brand

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:45 am

Looks like TOPS Pellets are not recommended by Feeding Feathers

"This pellet is not one of our recommended. It does not contain all Vitamins and minerals to make it a complete and balance pellet. I believe it is missing D3 and B12 among others. It is on the order of TOPS and would be fine as a treat."
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Tops Pellets brand

Postby Wolf » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:38 am

ParrotsForLife wrote:Looks like TOPS Pellets are not recommended by Feeding Feathers

"This pellet is not one of our recommended. It does not contain all Vitamins and minerals to make it a complete and balance pellet. I believe it is missing D3 and B12 among others. It is on the order of TOPS and would be fine as a treat."

I don't know, it appears that it is talking about another brand of pellet and only says that the pellet that it is speaking of is in their opinion on the order of TOPS, but not actually speaking of TOPS. I would much rather see the whole thing rather than a quote that may be being taken out of context, What is the rest of it?
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:59 am

TOPS doesn't claim to be a complete diet. They tell you to supplement with fresh fruits and vegetables.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:20 am

Wolf wrote:
ParrotsForLife wrote:Looks like TOPS Pellets are not recommended by Feeding Feathers

I don't know, it appears that it is talking about another brand of pellet and only says that the pellet that it is speaking of is in their opinion on the order of TOPS, but not actually speaking of TOPS. I would much rather see the whole thing rather than a quote that may be being taken out of context, What is the rest of it?

This is precisely why I questioned Brandon's 'sharing' of posts from other sites. It doesn't work. You need to not only see the whole thing but also be able to question the OP and get an actual reply.

But, if it was Tops they were talking about, John is correct, they do not claim it's nutritionally complete (as other pellets do even though anybody who knows about parrot nutrition knows it can't be anything but a lie) and that is something I have always admired of the lady who manufactures them: her honesty. But, in any case, parrots on a good diet don't need to get B12, they make it themselves (humans can't), and D3 is one of those 'tricky' ones that you should not supplement on a daily basis or in any 'set in stone' proportion regardless of the situation, gender, species, season, etc. (another problem that pellets have).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:59 am

No they were not talking about TOPS and that is the whole post I didn't know it wasn't complete thats why I posted it to see why they didn't recommend it because Pajarita saids thats the only one she recommends or likes.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:18 pm

I don't actually like or recommend any pellet, Tops included. My recommendation is always a fresh diet BUT, if the owner of the bird has made up his/her mind and will only feed pellets, then I would say that Tops is the best of the lot because it's the only one that uses human-grade ingredients, no soy and no man-made vitamins or minerals.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Rmoses » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:34 pm

How about giving us a link to where you saw this post. I googled Feeding Feathers and found a Facebook page with no posts at all, and the following site about greys where the moderator says that fruits have no nutritional value at all. http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showth ... -that-good Posts like the one quoted above have no informational value if it can not be backed up with the ability to research the who and why it was posted. We don't even know which pellet was not recommended. Please give us more info.
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:38 pm

Rmoses wrote:

How about giving us a link to where you saw this post. I googled Feeding Feathers and found a Facebook page with no posts at all, and the following site about greys where the moderator says that fruits have no nutritional value at all. http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showth ... -that-good Posts like the one quoted above have no informational value if it can not be backed up with the ability to research the who and why it was posted. We don't even know which pellet was not recommended. Please give us more info.

My question was answered and the group is a closed group so nobody will be able to see it unless your a member.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Rmoses » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:56 pm

ParrotsForLife wrote:
Rmoses wrote:

My question was answered and the group is a closed group so nobody will be able to see it unless your a member.

Okay, what was your question? Which pellet were you asking about. I see that is a closed group, and thought that may be the case. I will not join a group until I can see what it is about and how it runs. I may not want my name associated with that group, especially as a member. Kinda like buying a pig in a poke.
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:43 pm

Well it wasn't really a question I was just wondering why TOPS wasn't recommended by them
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Next

Return to General & Off Topic