Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

relaxed or frustrated

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

relaxed or frustrated

Postby danamaynah » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:43 am

hello all,

ok so ive noticed my IRN kiwi does this thing with his wings when he steps up or when he's on my shoulder, he just kind of adjusts his wings likes getting comfortable, I tried to read about this but didn't find anything useful, I would like to know is it a frustration thing or do parrots do that when theyre comfortable.

he does it sometimes when I'm next to his cage and talking to him
danamaynah
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: African gray parrot
indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: relaxed or frustrated

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:05 am

I am afraid I don't know what you mean by 'adjusting' his wings.... Is it flicking/flipping? Kind of like a very quick movement with the wings where the bird separates them from his body the merest distance and quickly 'closes' them back against his body? Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjIx3yfAMJg

Because, if it is, it means you are feeding way too much protein and it's already affecting the bird's body adversely.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby danamaynah » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:51 am

the bird in the video seems like he does it in discomfort and it kind of looks like its keeping him awake, kiwi does this but his wings don't go that far off his body and not as frequently he just does it when I pick im up and offer him head scratches and sometimes when I'm close to his cage, he stops after one or two of those 'wing twitches' at a time and just perches on my hand or his cage.

also I'm not really giving them things that have protein I gave him scrambled eggs with shells around 2 months ago and he was sick for a day I was worried its was because of the eggs so I didn't offer him any more, he has mostly fruits vegies and sunflower seeds as treats and sometimes cheerioes as treats
danamaynah
Lovebird

indian ringneck

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:45 am

OMG, PLEASE no cheerios! They are real bad for birds! If you look at the nutritional label on the box, you will see that cheerios are hugely high in iron (up to 45%!!!) - they are meant for human consumption and we require a lot of iron while birds need VERY little (never more than 2%). And, when you fee too much iron and because the body has no way of getting rid of a large excess, it ends up in the liver causing a condition called hemochromatosis which has no cure and is fatal. I have a sun conure that suffers from it precisely because her previous owner, reading somewhere that cheerios are OK for birds, fed her too many of them. She has to be on a special diet and supplements to help her liver function for the rest of her life. I know that people say that as long as they are only occasional treats, they are fine - but they are not. Arsenic doesn't kill you in small dosages but it will as it accumulates in your system.

Also, no eggs. There isn't a single species of parrot that has eggs as part of their natural diet. Eggs are animal protein, with too much fat and bad cholesterol (something that, again, nature never meant for parrots to consume as their natural diets have, virtually, no bad cholesterol in them).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby danamaynah » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:40 pm

oh no thank u so much for telling me ill stop the cheerios ,I thought the same about eggs but I saw Michael feed his birds scrambled eggs that's y I wanted to give it to them.
danamaynah
Lovebird

indian ringneck

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:59 am

Let me give you a piece of advice that has helped me tremendously through the years in figuring out what is good and what is bad when it comes to parrots: DON'T TAKE ANYBODY'S WORD FOR ANYTHING! Always do your own research but 'good' research, not reading what somebody wrote or what somebody assures you it works. Go to scientific sources like studies, field biologists reports, etologists, etc. and, if you can't find a clear reply there, go to nature (especially when it comes to diet). People have the best of intentions giving advice but good intentions don't equal right information. Eggs is one of those things... We used to feed eggs to herbivore birds all the time and, unfortunately, there is lots of people who still do. We started doing it with canaries which were the very first domesticated species of bird kept as a pet. The reason was that, if we did not feed eggs, the birds would not breed right - we did not know the exact link between the eggs and the breeding, we just knew it worked. Of course, it meant that canaries were breeding great but it also meant that they died young - and that's why most people believe that canaries live around 7 to 9 years only when, in reality, they can live well into their teens without a problem (I had a hen that lived to be 18!). Now we know it was because eggs, being animal protein, contain vit D3 (which cannot be found in any vegetal source of food because it's made by the animal body) and, without vit D3, the birds could not absorb calcium. No calcium = soft eggs = no babies. But the same animal protein that gives them the vit D3 has, also, high fat and bad cholesterol, which herbivores cannot get rid of once they eat it because, as their natural diet (the one they evolved to thrive on) doesn't contain it (insect meat has virtually no fat and no bad cholesterol), nature did not give them the digestive mechanism to get rid of it. Birds that eat eggs (or any other animal protein) end up with fatty liver and high cholesterol. It doesn't happen overnight but, in time, it happens. Just as an FYI, in case you are wondering, wild birds make their own vit D3 when they are exposed to direct (not through a window) sunlight (good cholesterol changes to cholecalciferol -aka vit D3- through a chemical reaction it makes to the sun light).

So, whenever somebody (including me!) tells you that they do this or the other and it works for them, check it out on your own and make your own conclusions.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby danamaynah » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:19 am

thank you and I will work on ur advice :thumbsup: and thank u so much u have been so helpful I'm very grateful
danamaynah
Lovebird

indian ringneck

Return to General & Off Topic