Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Oldest momma bird at it, again!

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Oldest momma bird at it, again!

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:52 am

And Wisdom still continues to amaze scientists not only with her longevity (she is now 66 and they all thought these birds lived to be only 45) and her fertility (she produced a perfect baby last year at 65 years of age!) but now, with her incredible prolific reproduction capability (these birds don't breed every year but she is, again, sitting on an egg!). Enjoy!

http://www.livescience.com/57177-oldest ... again.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Oldest momma bird at it, again!

Postby Bird woman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Amazing and very heartwarming. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:22 am

I guess their eggs don't get old like humans.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:54 am

Although female birds are born with a number of eggs to be produced by their only working ovary and, once the 'stock' is depleted, that's it for them (like hens, for example, which were genetically engineered to produce eggs daily and do so for about 3 or 4 years even though they can live for years after that -up into their twenties!), birds don't go through any sort of menopause, they continue going into breeding condition and producing eggs until they die. But it's different with pet birds because the life we give them is so unnatural and unhealthy that it causes them to age in a completely different way (they develop all kinds of health issues that wild birds never get like high cholesterol, fatty liver disease, kidney malfunction, diabetes, thyroid issues, etc).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alienlady » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:48 am

I'm so happy not to be a bird ! Motherhood at 66 I shudder at the thought. :lol:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:27 am

I hear you! I take care of a couple of grandkids in the afternoon and I end up exhausted! :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Just got back an hour ago from my Daughters. Doing the Grandchildren sitting and dinner for them.
Do this after school three days a week. OH and I take it in turns or sometimes together.
Fortunatley they are 6 and 10 and at school.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Return to General & Off Topic