Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Map of Alien invasive species

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Map of Alien invasive species

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:02 pm

This is a short article about the very first mapping of bird species that have colonized countries where they are not originally found (like the quakers, cherryheads, IRNs, etc). And, what I found super interesting is that although the whole thing of people bringing birds to other countries started in the 1500's, there have been more from 1983 to 2000 than in the 400 plus years before! Why? Pet bird trade!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 141150.htm
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Map of Alien invasive species

Postby alienlady » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:09 pm

In case you are worried I thought it best to mention that I'm not an invasive species :lol:
Capitalism strikes again. Poor birds always a commodity to greedy people.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Rmoses » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Pajarita, talking about invasive species, we are not in our orginal countries either. :lol: BTW I did not see a map on the link you provided.
:thumbsup: Rick :pirate:
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:12 am

Rick, this is just a short article about the actual study but, if you look at the bottom, where it says: 'Journal Reference' and click on the link (very last portion of it, it starts with: 10.371), you can access the entire study with all the graphs and maps -a bit long and dry but VERY interesting!

And, no, we are not in our original countries :lol: but humans all belong to the same species so any place on earth is as much our natural habitat as the actual place where we were born.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Rmoses » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:41 pm

Pajarita wrote:Rick, this is just a short article about the actual study but, if you look at the bottom, where it says: 'Journal Reference' and click on the link (very last portion of it, it starts with: 10.371), you can access the entire study with all the graphs and maps -a bit long and dry but VERY interesting!

And, no, we are not in our original countries :lol: but humans all belong to the same species so any place on earth is as much our natural habitat as the actual place where we were born.

I beg to differ with you Pajarita, any place with cold and snow is NOT my natural habitat, give me palm trees and sea breezes now that's natural for me :lol:
Rick :pirate:
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Postby Bird woman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:03 pm

There yea go bragging it up again! :roll: {While Me and the fids freeze to death} ;)
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Rmoses » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:22 pm

Bird woman wrote:There yea go bragging it up again! :roll: {While Me and the fids freeze to death} ;)

I started to write a long winded note on your predicament but , I 'll just say, there is plenty of room down here, come on down.
Rick :pirate:
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:01 am

You wouldn't want to come here at the moment. We are varying between rain and snow and frosts.
Fortunatley the snow was washed away next day by the rain and we have only had a few frosts so far.
It was nice last Sunday at 48F. :)
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Return to General & Off Topic