Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Need advice

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Need advice

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:16 am

SkyBirdie wrote: I know pajarita, Not a whole lot have changed since 7 months ago :/
i've slowly tried with earlier advice, but there is still some dificulty with them for me.

and don't worry about making me feel bad, i already know i'm a bad parrot owner :/

My dear, let me tell you a secret: we are ALL bad parrot owners! Every single one of us! Because, if one goes by what they actually need and what we can give them, we all fall short - no two ways about it! But there are degrees... I know that this situation is not your fault and I know that you have and are still trying to make things better for them even though you have problems of your own - and I commend you for this! I know you tried to improve their diet (I don't know if you are still doing it but I hope you are) and to allow them more time with people but the most important thing you need to do is to give them seasons (and I know this is hard to do where you live!) because, if you don't, Petra could become depleted or eggbound. Aside from this, the aggression will not diminish unless you do - and there is no training, no trick, no game, no nothing that can be done with their behavior until they stop producing sexual hormones.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby SkyBirdie » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:23 pm

Pajarita wrote:
SkyBirdie wrote: I know pajarita, Not a whole lot have changed since 7 months ago :/
i've slowly tried with earlier advice, but there is still some dificulty with them for me.

and don't worry about making me feel bad, i already know i'm a bad parrot owner :/

My dear, let me tell you a secret: we are ALL bad parrot owners! Every single one of us! Because, if one goes by what they actually need and what we can give them, we all fall short - no two ways about it! But there are degrees... I know that this situation is not your fault and I know that you have and are still trying to make things better for them even though you have problems of your own - and I commend you for this! I know you tried to improve their diet (I don't know if you are still doing it but I hope you are) and to allow them more time with people but the most important thing you need to do is to give them seasons (and I know this is hard to do where you live!) because, if you don't, Petra could become depleted or eggbound. Aside from this, the aggression will not diminish unless you do - and there is no training, no trick, no game, no nothing that can be done with their behavior until they stop producing sexual hormones.

I am still trying to improve, yes.
But what should i do with ineractions now and such? all they wanna do is try and nest on the sofa.
Really difficult to interact with benio when he is all ready to attack at all times.
SkyBirdie
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:29 pm

You don't try to interact with an overly hormonal male that is intent on nesting and providing for his mate. It would never work because they have a one-track mind and will not be distracted. You need to get them to stop producing sexual hormones or you will never have a relationship with either of them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby SkyBirdie » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:49 pm

Pajarita wrote:You don't try to interact with an overly hormonal male that is intent on nesting and providing for his mate. It would never work because they have a one-track mind and will not be distracted. You need to get them to stop producing sexual hormones or you will never have a relationship with either of them.

Meaning more towards what to do in the meantime whilst trying to fix such. are they not to come into the living room with us for the time being?
SkyBirdie
Lovebird

Postby liz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:22 am

Don't change how you interact with them as long as you can do it from a distance. You say they have their own room. I have a room for my Cockatiels but have a screen door on it so they feel they are still in the family.
My idea is to give them a cardboard box. They could use it as a nest but can also be distracted from their feeling while chewing it apart. To discourage egg laying put some dummy eggs in the place of any real ones. When the hen thinks she has enough she will sit on them instead of producing more. When they do not hatch she will abandon the nest and be okay for another yearo

I got my dummy eggs from fosters and smiths.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:39 am

These are macaws, Liz, they would destroy a cardboard box in a matter of a couple of minutes.

The only thing you can do, SkyBirdie, is allow them out of the room to walk around but, if this is going to mean that you have to fight them for the sofa is not going to work. If I remember correctly (and please correct me if I am wrong), your birds are 7 or 8 years old and have had a bad light schedule and diet since they were both babies - this, combined with no proper interaction with them, made them terribly hormonal and completely disaffected from humans so there is no interaction that you can have with them that will not end up in Benio trying to bite you. You can have breakfast with them (in their room), you can spend time with them in there, offer them treats and, if you can manage to let them out into the living room without causing a confrontation, you can do that too but unless they stop producing sexual hormones, if you try anything else, Benio will bite you. These birds are suffering and they have been suffering for a long time now so you can't expect them to have normal reactions - they just can't.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby SkyBirdie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:04 am

Well, i managed the make benio take a shower, that's a plus, i think...
petra was too scared to take a shower...
But, Benio looks fabulous.
and yeah, they're macaws, a cardboard box wouldn't last a minute xD
SkyBirdie
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:23 pm

Yes, showers work as distraction but make sure it's done in the morning and that the room is very warm.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic