Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot Crossword

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Crossword

Postby Shani » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:13 pm

They're not the longest parrot in the world, but they are (by far) the heaviest. Critically endangered too :cry:

"The Kakapo (Māori: kākāpō, meaning night parrot), Strigops habroptila (Gray, 1845), also called owl parrot, is a species of large, flightless nocturnal parrot endemic to New Zealand."

"The Kakapo is critically endangered; as of February 2010, only 122 living individuals are known, most of which have been given names.The common ancestor of the Kakapo and the genus Nestor became isolated from the remaining parrot species when New Zealand broke off from Gondwana, around 82 million years ago. Around 70 million years ago, the kakapo diverged from the genus Nestor. In the absence of mammalian predators, it lost the ability to fly."

"Because of Polynesian and European colonisation and the introduction of predators such as cats, rats, and stoats,the Kakapo was almost wiped out. Conservation efforts began in the 1890s, but they were not very successful until the implementation of the Kakapo Recovery Plan in the 1980s. As of January 2009, surviving Kakapo are kept on two predator-free islands, Codfish (Whenua Hou) and Anchor islands, where they are closely monitored."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakapo Good old wikipedia link if you'd like to have a read.
Shani
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Postby gizmo101 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:57 am

MandyG wrote:I was just taking a look at it.

8. Kakapo (I'll never forget them after watching that clip with the very 'friendly' Kakapo)
Overall good fun :thumbsup:

haha ive meet that kakapo he is very cute but did try it on with the tour guide!!!
i cant believe that some of you havnt heard of the kakapo living in nz myself made me so aware of all our national birds and there sizing i have meet all of them in person and held/pet/touched all of them exept for the kiwi (as its so rare but i have seen one being the glass and the pukeko (not really sure why . my av of all iis the kea! they r cheacky birds that reduse the world to toothpics. anyways i loved the crossword!! i thought it was fun. although i did it with some of my friends and because they werent really knowlegable about birds they didnt know the answers. but for a bird lover it was great!
just because you dont know something why cant your bird teach you
gizmo and georgia cockateils
gizmo101
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel

Postby gizmo101 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:59 am

[quote="Shani"], it lost the ability to fly."

yes they did in the absence of preditors with the kakapo pukeko and kiwi. mainly because they didnt need to fly away and got too fat to put it not so gently
just because you dont know something why cant your bird teach you
gizmo and georgia cockateils
gizmo101
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel

Postby Skip » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:45 pm

I so cheated ha ha ha
:lol:
Toni- :budgie:
Ray (me) - :)
Skip
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies

Postby dohcsvt » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:06 pm

New here, but I thought that I would give this a try. Amazingly I knew most, google helped with a few, but I was just S-T-U-C-K on 1 and 3 across.
Ottis
Stanley the Sun Conure :sun:
Ollie the Green Cheek Conure :gcc:
Stan and Ollie the great comedy duo, always making me chuckle!!
dohcsvt
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: A green cheek conure and a sun conure.
Flight: No

Postby cornettocockatiel » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:32 am

Nice crossword! It took me about a minute though! :D
cornettocockatiel
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Chicken
Cockatiel

Postby Parrotkeeper02 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:05 am

Michael wrote:The Mealy Amazon is 540-700g
A Blue and Yellow Macaw is 900-1300g
A Hyacinth Macaw (largest flying parrot) is 1200-2000g
The Kakapo range from 2000-4000g (that's up to 10lbs!)

Kakapos are really fat we went to Stewart Island which is a island with no treats to birds(sanctuary)
And I got to hold a kakapo that was semi tame it ways as much as my dog
Parrotkeeper02
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Swaisons lorikeet. chattering lorikeet, blue and gold macaw

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic