Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Poor Mango

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Poor Mango

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:59 pm

I feel bad for poor Mango since he will be left out when all the other are outside on harnesses or gone to the park during the Summer and he will be left at home alone, Even if he was in a travel cage it wouldn't be the same way like he used to be able to climb at the park or fly in the garden.Why are Ringneck species so wild I mean of course all Parrots are wild but they seem to be a whole species that just don't like human interaction or they don't have any interest in wanting to be tamed.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Poor Mango

Postby Wolf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:06 pm

This is why some parrots are classed as aviary species and some are classed as companion birds. IRN's are classed as aviary birds as they do not bond to humans as well as a companion species would. You gave a pretty accurate description of what this differences looks like.

This does not mean that you can't have an aviary type bird as a companion bird not that an aviary species can't make a good companion bid, because they can and do. It is just that it takes a lot more patience and effort on your part to maintain the relationship at the level that you want.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:20 am

Pfl, are you planning to take them all out at once by yourself. I know I am an overprotective mom but that is scary. If a bird of prey comes along will you be able to grab your birds and protect them.

I watched a video of a hawk trying to take a Cockatoo off a man's shoulder. The man had to fight it off and it came back again. I am sure the Cockatoo suffered trauma even more than the man did.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:38 am

liz wrote:Pfl, are you planning to take them all out at once by yourself. I know I am an overprotective mom but that is scary. If a bird of prey comes along will you be able to grab your birds and protect them.

I watched a video of a hawk trying to take a Cockatoo off a man's shoulder. The man had to fight it off and it came back again. I am sure the Cockatoo suffered trauma even more than the man did.

Em I think I would look crazy walking around with 5 birds not to mention where would they perch lol
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:58 am

Actually, I think that Mango will be very thankful for not going out - and I do hope you are not thinking of taking the baby out!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:51 pm

Pajarita wrote:Actually, I think that Mango will be very thankful for not going out - and I do hope you are not thinking of taking the baby out!

Its not summer yet and the baby isn't old enough but should be by the time summer comes around and he has never been outside before so I doubt he would mind being in a travel cage until he gets used to the outdoors unlike Mango who would, I doubt he would be thankful but he would probably be thinking why cant he go out without having to wear a harness and fly wherever he likes and thats the reason why I stopped taking him out because its only causing stress.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Return to General & Off Topic