Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What happens to your Parrots after you're gone

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: What happens to your Parrots after you're gone

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:27 am

My littles will be gone before me and Oscar will probably grow old with me though he could live into his 80's
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:50 am

I got Lola from a woman who has cancer. She was searching for homes for her babies.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby stevesjk » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:07 pm

I got my senegal on my 30th and im 33 now, ive made no arrangements for him but after reading some of the horror stories of these parrots falling into the wrong hands he's certainly an incentive to stay healthy and do my best to outlive him. Ive also got a budgie, he's 7 now so hes getting on.

I worry more about the parrot because hes harder to look after as he's a line of sight screamer so unless you raised him hes pretty hard to keep your patience with, im pretty sure he'd be passed from home to home
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:32 pm

Well, I have to tell you that my senegals are the quietest of all my birds - by far! Sweetpea talks a lot but never screams and Zoey mostly goes with her kurriki call but only once or twice a day.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:32 pm

I was sold an aviary bird from what i thought was a reputable uk breeder 'parrotcare'. I paid damn good money too for hand reared. After some research i found they done it to others too. Sometimes i dont feel enough for him but all i can do is my best.
stevesjk
Conure

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:54 am

My daughter will take my two if something were to happen to me and they already have a relationship with her.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby alienlady » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:51 am

I have been looking into some sanctuaries recently. One is looking quite good but I haven't made a decision just yet.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:09 pm

stevesjk wrote:I was sold an aviary bird from what i thought was a reputable uk breeder 'parrotcare'. I paid damn good money too for hand reared. After some research i found they done it to others too. Sometimes i dont feel enough for him but all i can do is my best.

No, no, senegals are not aviary, they are always companion but, if you were sold a parent-raised bird you do have trouble taming them because they are not imprinted to people so, although they can become your friends, they never develop the deep bond of the hand-fed ones. The other possibility is that the bird was, indeed, hand-fed but that they used gavage instead of syringe -and that messes them up something terrible!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:11 pm

alienlady wrote:I have been looking into some sanctuaries recently. One is looking quite good but I haven't made a decision just yet.

I used to swear by sanctuaries but have changed my mind about them because I now think that pet birds don't really do well without a human.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby stevesjk » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Pajarita wrote:
stevesjk wrote:I was sold an aviary bird from what i thought was a reputable uk breeder 'parrotcare'. I paid damn good money too for hand reared. After some research i found they done it to others too. Sometimes i dont feel enough for him but all i can do is my best.

No, no, senegals are not aviary, they are always companion but, if you were sold a parent-raised bird you do have trouble taming them because they are not imprinted to people so, although they can become your friends, they never develop the deep bond of the hand-fed ones. The other possibility is that the bird was, indeed, hand-fed but that they used gavage instead of syringe -and that messes them up something terrible!

You've hit the nail on the head, thats what i was trying to say..... Ive managed to make friends with it but its not super tame because it wasnt hand raised. The breeder was an absolute rogue and ive since found im not the only one hes done it to. Unfortunately the real victims are the birds because these dodgy breeders are selling on unmanageable birds and most of the time they are ending up in sanctuaries.

Ive got shredded hands and a burst blood vessel in the ear cause he ripped into my ear without warning but i wont give up lol
stevesjk
Conure

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic