Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Green cheeks only want each other:(

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Green cheeks only want each other:(

Postby Seaecove » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:04 pm

Originally I had a cockatiel (rescue)and 1 green cheek (purchased)and my cockatiel passed away. My green cheeked was inconsolable and I unfortunately got him another green cheek cinnamon who was a rescue who liked males only (I wasn't told originally). They now only want each other's company and all the training (Nelson was very young when I got him and was fairly tame, which I continued working on ). Now I feel like I am doing a disservice to them because they don't want to come out and when they do they're naughty, messing with the other birds cages by knocking water down or freeing the parakeets. One time Nelson was in their cage and they weren't. Anyway, I'm thinking to donate them to an organization with open flights or other bird happy place. Any thoughts or ideas? If I find a home for Maggie and keep Nelson I'm afraid that they both might be miserable. They're in the same cage, but I have her original cage still. Any thoughts?
Seaecove
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey, Congo, Canary, male, Parakeets, Cockatiel, Parrolets and Green Cheeked Conures
Flight: Yes

Re: Green cheeks only want each other:(

Postby Bird woman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:21 pm

Unfortunately that can be the result when we feel our feathered friend needs a friend , We get put on the back burner, or they don't get along and then there's DOUBLE TROUBLE. :lol: If you feel you can't care for them or able to fulfill there needs then please be careful to find them a proper home. It would be ashame to separate them if they have bonded as it's very traumatic for the birds. Good luck BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:26 pm

I have a bonded pair of a female GCC and a male peachfront conure. The GCC only has Horner's syndrome (her left eye is kind of like sunken into her head and she doesn't see well out of it) which is nothing but the male is an old wild-caught that was used as a breeder and is severely handicapped (half his left wing, a bad foot, half his lower beak is missing and he has a neurological problem which impairs his balance) so, although he comes out of his cage, all he does is climb around the outside and to the top because he doesn't fly and he doesn't like or really trust people so there is really nothing I can do to interact with him. But Codee GCC comes out every day -and quite eagerly, I might add- to fly and to spend time with me (2 solid hours on my shoulder) every morning. BUT this is only when it's not breeding season because this time of the year, for example, she comes out and eagerly climbs on my shoulder and kisses me (she pushes her beak into my cheek and makes a SMACK noise :D ) but, after an hour or so, she flies back to the cage so she can be with him and, as soon as I put the produce (which they get before they get their gloop), they both go back in to eat it (they LOVE their fruits!).

The point I am trying to make is that this 'disaffection' for you could be hormones because parrots (same as any other animal, actually) have 100% one-tract minds during breeding season so I would recommend you wait another couple of months and see what happens when the breeding season is over for the year.

Oh, one more thing, I close all the cages doors when I let the birds out because there is always one or two that want to go into another bird's and although the 'real tenant' doesn't usually mind, I'd much rather not risk any of them fighting.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:32 pm

When I got a second Cockatiel they started to bond and now they are together all the time and don't really interact with anybody but each other but I'm ok with that as long as they are behaving and they still have remained tame.You could consider getting another bird that can bond to you and not another bird like maybe a species that does ok without a mate.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Return to General & Off Topic