Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Orphaned squirrels

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Orphaned squirrels

Postby Bird woman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:46 am

That's too bad , it's the greatest thing in the world to have a country home with all kinds of wildlife that interacts with you but knows how to take care of themselves. I've been fortunate to have that experience several times in life. I wish the same for you. :thumbsup: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:14 am

Take care of them and love doing it but find a squirrel rescue. They will do the rest of the work and teach them how to survive. The squirrels will be released as a group in an area with a lot of food.

I don't approve of keeping something meant to be free. It is a shame to deprive them of what is natural. No matter how much you do for them they would still be happier living the way the good LORD intended.

My dad had two wild squirrels who came to him for a nut now and then. There was a gray squirrel on one side of the house and a brown one on the other. They never crossed the house. I thought that was interesting. He also had a 6 foot black snake in the barn who could sents his approach and come out to show itself and be petted.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:33 am

Chip opened one eye today (his right one) and they are eating great (6 to 8 cc a feeding) and pooping and peeing once every other feeding (every 3 to 3.5 hours) so we are doing real good!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alienlady » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:15 pm

Wonderful! Bless him , I can't wait to see them with their eyes fully open.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:34 am

He opened his other eye last evening and, although Dale hasn't yet, because they started peeing and pooping on their own (found poop in their box which they had, obviously, done overnight) I already got my husband to clean up a large vertical cage I had in the basement and we are going to go out and get some bedding for them because I assume they will start getting more and more active now. I have to read about weaning them (when, how, what kind of food, etc) and I have to start looking for rehabbers.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby carolpalmer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:57 am

If at any time you find difficult taking care of them , opt for wildlife removal services. They do rehabilitation too.
carolpalmer
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: parekeets

Postby liz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:34 am

Most zoos have Wildlife Rehab Centers. When they are old enough to leave they just open a window and leave it open so the critter can come back in and eat until it finds food in the zoo on it's own.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:14 am

I would NEVER EVER give an animal to a zoo! I worked in one and they are not good places for animals - people that work there are never animal lovers...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:19 am

I do agree with that. Animals put on display are treated like a display.

When I volunteered at NC Zoo Wildlife Rehab the woman in charge had no knowledge of their personalities. I was on her "put down" list most of the time. When I found a Canadian Goose blowing bubbles in her water bowl I gave her a plastic cup. As this woman was cleaning up the water mess all over the floor she was telling me that wild animals do not play.
There was a turtle without the top to his mouth. I gave him a plastic key chain. He would use it to beat on the side of his aquarium and make noise.
She was constantly on me that "wild animals do not play". She about had a hissy fit when I told her that Oscar the vulture taught me the game he made. I know anything with a full belly will play. So I knew they were at least being fed well.
Those who could be released were let go in a place good for their species. Until then they were kept with their own kind and usually released 2 or more at a time so they would not be alone.

The woman in charge was doing a paid job. Most of the volunteer were like me and able to "feel" the critters and give them extra care instead of just feeding and cleaning.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:54 am

Yep, that's what working in a zoo means to them: a paid job - and period! There is no real love or even charity in their hearts for the animals...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic