Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Orphaned squirrels

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Orphaned squirrels

Postby liz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:50 am

The volunteers are there because they want to be with the animals. I always looked forward to going and came home and told my Elders what all happened and how the are progressing. I am sure the other volunteers did the same.

It is true with any rehabber. If the person is paid it is their job. If the person is a volunteer it is love.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:04 am

Well, just to give you a short update on Chip and Dale, they are doing great. Their tails are getting nice and bushy, they are beginning to munch on things in between feedings. They've been gnawing on the rodent food thingies I got for them and had yellow zucchini yesterday and corn on the cob today (courtesy of the parrots menu :lol:). I haven't given them any fruits but might still do it before I take them to the rehabber (possibly Friday). They know and trust me to the point that they come out of their 'nest' when I call them (I make a grunt grunt grunt noise like they do when they are happy) and, when I put my hand down, they climb 'aboard' and scamper up my arm or body (like parrots, their favorite place is my shoulders). I need to get them to the rehabber as soon as possible because they have taken to exploring around and I don't want them to get too used to being in a home.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:55 am

If you find a rehabber like I did for Fran, they will have playmates and friends to be released with. Yes they will miss you but not as much as you miss them. They will be very busing playing with the other squirrels and bonding with others of their kind.

When I was finally able to get Rocky out of the house he still came back at sundown to eat and sleep in his own cage. It took a few days before his new friend invited him to sleep over. They both came for a bird feeder breakfast the next morning and he was covered with pine tar. When I went to touch him he pushed my hand away. I would see him at the feeder with his friend every morning but he no longer wanted to hang out with me. He was a squirrel and busy doing squirrel things.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby alienlady » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:27 am

Pajarita will you be posting a photo before they go ?
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:47 am

Yes, I will and, most likely, I will also post a picture of the rehabber place, too. One of them bit my husband this morning and drew blood :shock: He had gotten into the hamper and when my husband put his hand down to grab him, he got a good bite on his hand - but it was his fault. My husband has the bad habit of believing that if I can do something with an animal, he should be able to do it, too. He doesn't understand that animals develop relationships with individual people and are not little automatons that can be programmed to respond to everybody the same way. He had seen me handling them and had often watched and caressed them when I am feeding them and thought they would react the same way to him as they do to me but, of course, they didn't. We have this argument about the dogs all the time... he thinks that I can train a dog to obey him the same way they obey me and I keep on telling him HE needs to make them obey him, that I can't do it for him. He 'talks' to them instead of using the command words and he is never consistent about his reaction to their behavior - the dog can do the same thing two days in a row and he would permit it one day and scream the next so nobody listens to him (including me :lol: ).

Now I have to find a rescue that would take this little dog I've been taking care of for this young man because he can't take him back. It's actually for the best because the poor little thing has been going from one place to another every time this young man has any kind of change in his life and I've been telling him that it's not fair to him, that if he truly loves him, he would let him go so he can go to a good forever home where they will take good care of him (the dog is two years old and has never been to a vet and is not even housebroken).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic