Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Poolside aviary

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Poolside aviary

Postby carolpalmer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:04 am

I own a backyard inground pool 7x3 meters, which was installed a year back. Lately, it is getting a lot of green algal blooms along the walls and floor of my pool. I am thinking of a shock for my pools on a weekly basis. I found different sites, suggesting the need to shock the pools on a regular basis.
What concerns me is that my aviary which is beside the pool. Will shocking the pool using chlorine have an adverse effect on my birds because there are blogs by swimming pool installation massachusetts which say chlorine is a harmful chemical. Can someone suggest few safe options which would be safe for my birds? Your thoughts on salt water, ozone, bromine or MPS as alternatives? All suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.
carolpalmer
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: parekeets
Flight: Yes

Re: Poolside aviary

Postby alienlady » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:05 am

The most natural and harmless way is to put a lot of barley straw in the water. It takes awhile but the strae attracts the algae to cling to it and you can then lift it out.
Another way is to buy shop bought algae remover but they don't often work, it's trial and error with them. Personally I would not use chlorine .
alienlady
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:18 am

Sorry but I have no idea. I don't have and doubt I will ever have a pool (my husband and I fight all the time over this but I would have to clean it myself and I would hate to find a drowned animal floating in it so, regardless of what my husband wants, there will be no pool for us)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby carolpalmer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:14 pm

I'm not sure how to deal with this problem. Even with shop bought cleaners , how would I ensure if they are devoid of chemicals. Already one of them is having feather loss. It could be lice
carolpalmer
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: parekeets

Postby alienlady » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:19 am

There is another alternative for your pool and that is to fill it with fast growing oxygenating plants. The more you have the quicker the water will clear. This is probably your best option because it will continue to keep clear without continually adding chemicals.
I had ponds for decades :P
alienlady
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby liz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:24 am

That sounds like a good idea.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12