Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrots as Emotional Support Animals

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrots as Emotional Support Animals

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:05 am

Liz, you have hit the nail right on the head about animals being a 'natural' source of emotional support. I was thinking about that same thing last night, actually... I [and I think that everybody who has animals] find my animals to be a huge comfort to me. I am not the kind of person who gets depressed, feels lonely or unloved, quite the contrary, I am very upbeat all the time but, like every 'happy' person, I wasn't born this way... I had a few rough times when I was younger but I learned to make myself happy every day by 'treating' myself to things that bring me joy and one of the most important ones is my animals -but plants and children make me happy, too. I once almost had a nervous breakdown when I had to spend 10 days in a hospital room that had one single window looking over the parking lot! Having no animals and no plants around me started 'working' on my happiness and even though I kept busy -I exercised, cleaned my own room and changed my bed every day, visited with other patients and my husband came every day and spent hours with me- I was beginning to lose it... I need nature around me to be happy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic