Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrots as Emotional Support Animals

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrots as Emotional Support Animals

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:05 am

Liz, you have hit the nail right on the head about animals being a 'natural' source of emotional support. I was thinking about that same thing last night, actually... I [and I think that everybody who has animals] find my animals to be a huge comfort to me. I am not the kind of person who gets depressed, feels lonely or unloved, quite the contrary, I am very upbeat all the time but, like every 'happy' person, I wasn't born this way... I had a few rough times when I was younger but I learned to make myself happy every day by 'treating' myself to things that bring me joy and one of the most important ones is my animals -but plants and children make me happy, too. I once almost had a nervous breakdown when I had to spend 10 days in a hospital room that had one single window looking over the parking lot! Having no animals and no plants around me started 'working' on my happiness and even though I kept busy -I exercised, cleaned my own room and changed my bed every day, visited with other patients and my husband came every day and spent hours with me- I was beginning to lose it... I need nature around me to be happy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby restrictionavm » Fri May 20, 2022 11:47 am

Yes, birds can also be registered as Emotional support animal. Of course, to begin with, they must be entered into the database and checked a little. Parrots with calm behaviour can become ESA. After all, many people like birds, not animals. Moreover, colourful and funny parrots can calm many people and their owners. I'd recommend that you make your parrot a therapeutic animal. My Sam has been helping people with an anxiety disorders for many years. He can only say a few words, especially "kiss me", and likes to repeat it when people cry. I think that people who give their animals to the ESA are doing very well.
Last edited by restrictionavm on Tue May 31, 2022 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
restrictionavm
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pajarita » Sat May 21, 2022 8:07 am

Well, parrots can be 'Emotional Support Animals' but they cannot be 'registered' because there is no certification, registry or criteria for an ESA and you cannot bring an ESA into any shop where animals are not allowed. It's the 'Service' animals that are allowed everywhere, that are trained, tested, certified and registered. ESA animals are not service animals.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby rolfecate » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:04 am

backrooms gameI believe it is the obligation of the person delivering the bird to watch the situation at first and ensure that it is a good fit; after all, companion parrots are not the same as dogs.
rolfecate
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic