Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Incredible pets

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Incredible pets

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:31 am

This is an article about 'service' animals and how useful they are to people but the middle one is about Parrots for Patriots founder and his first bird, which we have seen here in the forum before but this is the first time I have read a more detail story of him and Cezar and how their relationship and the organization came to be.

https://parade.com/593145/lharris-2/inc ... ave-lives/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Incredible pets

Postby Bird woman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:54 am

Well I wish everything was all warm and fuzzy with this story and mission in life for the parrots but for every feel good story there is a terrible downside. Rescuing is at best personally rewarding but can very quickly become overwhelming , financially and physically. And I'm not referring to myself yet. :roll: but I am doing what I can to help Chris without letting my situation get out of hand. :)
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:11 am

Yes, rescuing is real hard. It can become overwhelming physically, emotionally and financially and I can attest personally to the truth in that because I went through it. I ended up weighing almost 50 lbs less than I am now and so stressed out that I was sleeping 3 hours a night [4 when I was lucky], with out of control blood pressure, anemia and not even clotting properly which sent me to the emergency room once... I also lost my house in Pennsylvania. Thankfully, my husband and children put their foot down but, if I had been on my own, I don't know where I would have ended up...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:54 am

One of my Group friends decided that if I could care for a flock then she could. She tried it with bunnies but it did not work. I don't have Cockatiels but have a FLOCK of Cockatiels. She did not think ahead that each bunny had to be housed, fed and cleaned seperatly. Her bunnies had bunnies and now she is overwhelmed. Trying to find new homes for them has been stressful. She does have two house bunnies and hope to only keep them.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:07 am

Tell her to contact a rabbit rescue or even a general animal rescue. They might be able to help her not only with the adoption but also to get the rabbits castrated so they don't reproduce. ALL mammals can be 'fixed', it's not only for dogs and cats.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby stevesjk » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:15 am

Drastic action needs to be taken, they need to ban breeding parrots, if anyone wants one then adopt

I got mine from a breeder when i was ignorant to the situation, he asked no questions, no advice, no making sure ive done research, just a phonecall that took about a minute then a baby parrot delivered to my door a short while later, its all about money to them.

He wasnt the tame cuddly bird that was advertised, he was a killer with feathers and i felt overwhelmed at the mess i got myself into, i searched out a local rescue and the appointment made to take the bird.

Leading up to the appointment i read about the parrot crisis and mine was just another statistic, i got to within an hour of him being picked up and he was in a carrier with all his little possessions packed up. He knew i think because he was quiet.

Anyway i decided to cancel, i phoned the guy to say I'd changed my mind to which he told me i was making a mistake and the bird was rejecting me and probably wanted a female caregiver, looking back he probably wasnt genuine and just wanted the bird.

I ordered many parrot books that very night and i decided to put my all into it, couple of years later im fairly well read on birds, developed my own approach and im very pleased to how far we have come.

Ive had many bites but hes fairly tame to me now, flies to me, plays with me and makes me laugh. Hes nasty to other people when hes outside the cage, loves his grandma when hes in the cage. He talks, he says 'oi', 'grumpy' and calls 'stephen' when i leave the room. Hes worked out thats my name from hearing others call me it.

To get the best out of these companions you need patience, knowledge and understanding and i strongly believe they are not pets for families with kids.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:32 am

I agree with you completely in all points and I will go one further, they are not only not good for families with children, they are usually not good as pets for children or even young people.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to General & Off Topic