Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Do-gooders mess up

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Do-gooders mess up

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:50 am

This article is not directly related to parrots but to all wildlife in India. And the reason why I post is twofold: on the one hand, to show how India is taking things very seriously when it comes to wildlife AND to also show that there are, indeed, organizations there that do take care of animals that need rescuing.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/ ... 31--1.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Do-gooders mess up

Postby Navre » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 am

My daughter just got back from spending the summer in Delhi. There was a big, Jain bird hospital there. They would treat any bird, but birds of prey could never stay overnight. And if you brought your pet bird in for treatment, you wouldn't get it back. It would be treated and then released.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Re: Do-gooders mess up

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:26 am

I LIKE them!!!! I always thought that Indian people were all very respectful and loving of animals [at least, the ones I knew and still know are!] but then I started seeing all the people that kept wild IRNs as pets there -and not even under good conditions, either! But I also realized that, in their minds, acquiring a bird poached from the wild is not considered cruelty. It's actually a VERY common practice [and a problem] in underdeveloped countries [they still do it in mine with songbirds and, believe it or not, they do it here in USA, too!] But, in India, they know that keeping and caging them is illegal and they still do it - which bothers me a lot and not because I believe that every single law should be followed blindly because I don't, but because this is one of the 'good' laws.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General & Off Topic