Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

They learn from each other

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

They learn from each other

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:03 am

This is a study done with passerines [tits, to be specific] but it proves a point I have made several times on why it's easy for me to transition a new bird to a good diet: the fact that they learn from each other! It actually goes one long step further and found that this learning ("social transmission"] can actually have evolutionary consequences - now is that interesting or what?!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 120338.htm
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: They learn from each other

Postby liz » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:35 am

There is not suppose to be a leader in a Tiel flock so I guess Sweetie was just loved by all. She was always the first to try things. If she liked it the rest would try. She was the adventurous one so was the leader.

Myrtle learned to sing opera from the computer. She says words that Rainbow says even when she does not know what they mean.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby seagoatdeb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:32 am

i find there is a leader in my house too. Gaugan is definately the one. In My daughters house where there are 5 parrots, a conure, a Meyers, 2 budgies, and a Senegal. The female Senegal is the one who all the parrots are most cautious off. She is not like Gaugan who has never injured another parrot, but knows how to really put a scare into them without injuring them. The Senegal would injure them if she had a chance and most of them know it just by looking at her.

Meyers arent as good a talker as Red Bellys but i think that Sunny talks because it is easier to learn it from Gaugan than from a human.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:12 am

Well, Zoey Senegal is also quite bossy but I think it's not so much any kind of leadership trait but the way they are when there are other birds [or people] involved... they do NOT like to share their human. Zoey has learned to do it but it takes a while. She is now perfectly fine with Codee, Davy or Isis being on me while she also is, and was OK with Sunny after a while but she is still giving Javi a hard time. What I have noticed is that there is an obvious learning curve that is making this process much faster every time it happens because although she is still watching Javi like the proverbial hawk [she literally flies straight to the dining room chair in front of his cage as soon as I open the door to her cage even though there is hardly any light at all for her to see where she is going], she is going through her 'steps' much faster this time -right now, I have Zoey on my right thigh, Davy on my right knee, Javi on my left shoulder and Isis on top of my laptop screen [her favorite pooping place!].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:10 pm

I agree there is definately a learning curve. My hubby had not been around parrots and he did a lot of the mistakes that new owners do, but once Gaugan realized that I was insisting she form a relationship with my hubby she worked very hard to form a realtionship with him that worked for her. She really developed good ways to show him how she felt about how he was relating to her. Sunny will take some time to get to that point if he ever does. He is what I would call more of a simple parrot. He likes what he likes and it does not take him a lot to be happy. Gaugan on the other hand like lots of excitement and changes up what she likes all the time. Pois seem to think they are a big parrots, and often are the bossy ones.

When I first got Sunny, Gaugan was not very happy at the beginning and when my daughter or hubby went near Sunny she would fly to the floor and attack their toes to make them back away from Sunny. They backed up too. She tried it with me to,but I refused to back up or let her go at my toes so she realized she had to accept him. But such a tiny parrot able to make a big human shuffle backwards is pretty impressive.....lol
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:41 am

:lol: Yes, it is and it's a testament to their fearlessness!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to General & Off Topic