Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

chicos day out.

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

chicos day out.

Postby kimbo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:53 am

i wanted to take chico out so decided my mums would be best. so i put chico in the carrier, but no perches in it, i got a rope perch and hung it from the top, he loved it. i hung a water bowl from the grid at the front and put in a food bowl and a couple of toys. off we went, walked down to the bus stop and everything was fine. got to the bus station to wait for another bus, everyone around was interested in chico, and he was very nosey. we got on bus and after a short walk got to mums where chicos old cage (still usable) was waiting with toys. i put him in and we had a good time, mum loves him and my neice turned up (already a fan as he turned round for her before). we got a taxi back, as it was 9pm when we left. ive wanted to do it for a while but didnt dare, im so glad it was a good experience for chico. :senegal:
kimbo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Re: chicos day out.

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:09 pm

Yeah, it's really not as big of a deal as people think to go places with a parrot. Actually it's a great way to quiet them down and mine is always better behaved on outings than at home. Glad it worked out well and hope you continue doing these.

I've had Kili living out of her carrier over weekends and as long as half a week without any problem so don't be scared taking your bird places and meeting new people. Just make sure they don't use teflon or feed the parrot toxic things (as a non bird person they may just not know).
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby lzver » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:23 am

Glad you and chico enjoyed your outing :)

We have a trailer where we spend our weekends and vacation over the summer and both Lucy and Jessie come with us. They both get very excited when they see their trailer cages - especially Lucy. They absolutely love car rides and make these really strange noises that they only make in the car. I remember one day driving to the trailer and both birds were in their cages in the back seat and I went through a McDonalds drive thru. When I pulled up to the window to pay, Lucy said 'How you doing?' and the girl working there ducked down and replied 'I'm good. How are you.' Needless to say she was shocked to see birds in the backseat instead of kids :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby HyperD » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:38 am

When I got Jazz my sennie, it was a 3.5hr car drive home... she seemed fine in it, although she was moaning quite a bit.

She spent a week at home, then on the following Saturday she went on a trip to see some friends in London, which is 45mins train, 5min bus and another 15 mins train (all overground :)).

She was surprisingly content in her rucksack (a Pak-O-Bird Travel Carrier Small). She was quiet for most of the journey, just on the way back that she chirped a bit.

I have also taken her to my sister (who has an African grey). That is just a 20 minute walk.

I have not yet (and I am not sure if I will) taken her overnight somewhere.

I think it is a good thing to get them used to going out and see new things, I cant wait for the weather to improve here in England so she can start going out and staying outside rather than just travel.
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby kimbo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:24 am

where did you get your pack o bird carrier from?
kimbo
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Postby HyperD » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:20 am

I got it from Northern Parrots (24parrot.com) when I got the cage and lots of toys.

At the time it was on discount at £80 but it is at full price now...
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Return to General & Off Topic