Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Poachers get 'real' sentence

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Poachers get 'real' sentence

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:04 am

Not parrot poachers but it doesn't really matter because the important thing is that Indonesia, which is a hotbed of poaching and trafficking of animals, is finally taking responsibility for it and punishing these bad people.

https://focusingonwildlife.com/news/slo ... indonesia/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Poachers get 'real' sentence

Postby DanaandPod » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:03 pm

As im sitting here reading an article from scientific american, about illegally collected parrots and birds from the wild. (One in five households in indonesia, keeps birds as pets) Most of these millions of harvested animals, die from the poor conditions. Exotic pets trade, being a major driver in vanishing wildlife. Many of the collectors are from the U.S.
Which brings me to the up and commung Feather Fest, around the corner, here in Connecticut. Why? Because last year, someone brought their Palm Goliath Cockatoo there. I read in this article, that they produce only one egg, every two years, and that they dont really make good pets. They are not easily tame. Are very expensive. Im not pointing fingers necessarily. But, Im left wondering, how Palm Cockatoos are typically obtained. Do people even actually breed them? Im of the personal mindset that birds are NOT pets. It is an oddity, of an experience, that ive dedicated my own time to. Trick training, i believe, has helped me give them quality in their captive lives. However, it angers me, when many people immediately exclaim, Oh! They must be expensive! The only thing expensive about my birds, is the time, ive given to them. Otherwise, they wernt just obtained free, but they were feared, and extremely, SADLY, unwanted.
As for the illusion that exotic pets are a status symbol, almost. I just only wish i had the power to do to these humans twice fold that theyve done to innocent creatures. By the millions.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Re: Poachers get 'real' sentence

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:26 am

Yes, palm cockatoos are being bred for the pet trade. Lots and lots and lots of species that don't do well in captivity are simply because people don't really care if the animals are happy or not, they just want to OWN them - and the more exotic, the more they want it.

If you are planning on getting two more birds, I suggest you get mates for the ones you already have. It might work and then it might not but, even if it doesn't, the fact that they have somebirdy who 'speaks' its own language is already a plus for them. I think it would be the kinder thing to do...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General & Off Topic