Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Leaving Birds While Away

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Leaving Birds While Away

Postby DanaandPod » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:38 pm

Would you please share your perspective on parrot mentality regarding while you are away?
Do you think that if you go on vacation, that your parrots think you possibly have died? What about others who dont vacation much. (I know that you are big on exposing your parrots.)
I recently had to leave my parrots for a week. An emergency. Someone only was able to come in to feed them. They were not let out of their cages. The reason i ask, if you think that they possibly think you have died. Is because parrots,by nature, have survival mentality. Im also wanting to understand what this wait for me to come back was like for them, besides it seeming traumatic.. But after a couple days or three, alls back to normal.come
Mine are rehomed parrots that come from severe neglect, trained now, but a sitter wouldnt know how to handle them, get them back in their cages. Nor, the time to do so.
Whats the longest youve gone away? Have you ever brought them with you? Do you have a partucular person that cares for them when you are away? What might you suggest for those like myself, in such situations. I figure, at least they had light classical music, each other in cages, and some obvious individual cage activity, as well as not leavingtheir home spot.
Thanks!
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Leaving Birds While Away

Postby Michael » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:28 pm

Longest I've travelled with my birds together is for about a week, week and a half. Longest I've left them was 3 weeks. More typically I'm away for 7-14 days a few times a year. My birds handle it very well because I have always exposed them to changes and mild doses of stress. They are used to seeing me leave to work and come back, go out on a Sunday or for a whole weekend. They got used to me going away on 3 day long weekend trips and week long trips.

Those birds are also used to living with other people. For example when Marianna and I were dating, I would leave Kili or Trumam with her for a week so they could get used to each other. Because these parrots enjoy training, they get centered on doing familiar things for other people and they are not so worked up about me not being there.

I have always sought to balance a good bond with me and a good level of independence in all my birds. I want them to be good companions and enjoy my company but on the other hand I don't want them to suffer without me (whether away or unable of care for them).

I not only provide a lot of toys and activities for them in the cage but I have also spent a lot of time teaching them independent play with bird toys so they actually do it. They know how to occupy themselves. Also the parrots vocalize and talk to each other and keep each other company in separate cages.

In the beginning, each bird was weird about being left a while but after getting over it and doing it again, they have stopped getting worked up about it at all. I know this from how food is consumed, toys are played with, accounts from other people taking care of them, and reaction to me when I get back.

It is really a disservice not to get parrots used to being occasionally unattended by their normal person because they get so used to that person being there that they really do get heavily stressed when the person isn't there. We could at any moment have an emergency to attend to, get sick, pass away, or just have to rehome the bird from circumstance. This is why it is not only acceptable but really advisable to take occasional vacations while leaving the birds. Build up gradually. Have confidence in whoever takes care of them. And know that you are not only taking a needed break but also preparing the bird not to stress when circumstances force your absence.

PS I changed the title to make the topic more inclusive for others to participate
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:36 am

I don't think that she actually wants other people to reply, Michael, as she addressed it to you, personally, even though it was placed in a public forum instead of in a pm form so I won't reply on the subject except for saying that anybody who has a medical or psychological issue that might make an emergency hospital stay likely should have an 'eventuality' plan in place. I never go anywhere and, when I do, 99.99 percent of the time my husband stays behind to take care of the animals but I do have a Plan C [Plan B being my husband :lol: ] in place, just in case [the daughter that lives close and a neighbor who is a good friend and an animal lover and who knows all my animals and the routines].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby DanaandPod » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:31 am

Good idea about the thread title change. And, thanks for your experiences. But, do you at all think that they worry you have died?
Interesting comment about how you can tell by how they played with their toys.
It was quite obvious, that Pod, my jardine, did not touch his pony bead toys, which isnt typical. He also chewed the hell out of a phone book, that was in one of his boxes. (Im glad he had it to take his aggression out on.) But, the most striking scene, upon my arrival, was him, perched on a back corner perch. While Piccolo's cage, (the meyers) next to his, had a heaping pile of book shavings below the cage. More particularly, in the corner, from a hung book, clearly burrowed into, so that Piccolo was on the visible side, to Pod. My resulting estimation of the situation, was that, Pod took a back seat, where he was entertained by watching Piccolo's pile of book shavings grow. Not, the worst case scenario. At least they got through it, with each other. I could use a plan b and c though.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby DanaandPod » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:42 am

Oh, and one other thing. Before i leave everyday, i emphasize the word back. I have to go, but i will be back. When im back, i say, im BACK! Prior to my emergency leave, i said in very serious tone, that i will be BACK. His body froze still, listening intently. I know he has some connection to the word. Still, i could use plan b and perhaps c. But, indoor aviary size cages as well. Of course, that is in the future. But, when this future comes, i hope to adopt two more poicephalus, particularly, a cape and a senegal. My sort of dream, is that, they will be able to have good views of each others in their cages, but ability to fly in them as well. Rehomed. Given a better life. Because that is where my heart is. I dont personally believe in buying from breeders.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:13 pm

DanaandPod wrote:But, do you at all think that they worry you have died?

Mine don't. Or they wouldn't care if I did. I have had them cared for by others or live in other houses for weeks at a time and they were same as normal. They get happy and excited to see me again but they don't get upset when they don't see me. I think that is the best way to prepare them for the unforeseen.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to General & Off Topic