Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Firemen to the rescue!

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Firemen to the rescue!

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:23 am

Firemen had to bring two different trucks so as to 'rescue' a macaw that had been 'marooned' high up on a tree.

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/li ... 5ccfc39e2e
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Firemen to the rescue!

Postby liz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:46 am

The young man who rescued Myrtle from a tree top volunteered to climb and save my cat. Was he surprised that it was a bird that needed help.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:15 am

Yes, I bet he was! People don't realize that not all birds are good fliers... which brings to the fore the dichotomy of people clipping pet birds wings, doesn't it? Because, if a bird's ability to fly is something so ingrained in our brains that we never think that a bird needs to be rescued from a height, why do we think that grounding them is acceptable?

I listen to tapes and records [yes, very old-fashioned, isn't it? but some are over 40 years old and I wouldn't even know where to find a replacement here] of tangos, folkloric music from back home and other oldies but goodies early in the morning and, today, as I was singing along with the songs, I was reflecting that, in every single folkloric song {and this without a single exception, mind you!] that mentions a bird [and A LOT of them do!}, they always represent freedom through their flight. But we have no problem keeping them in a cage and depriving them of flight...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:27 am

Myrtles wings had grown back and she was good enough to do aironotics. She was on my shoulder and I was standing inside the storm door. The wind was so bad that it took the storm door and sucked her off my shoulder. She was terrified when the wind blew her back and forth. It was not blowing in one direction. If she had been clipped I would never have seen her again. She was strong enough and smart enough to grab a twig on my neighbors tall tree.
Like I said he thought it was a cat because we were calling to it. He did not hear her yelling for "Ma".
He had started up the tree before he knew it was a bird he was after. His age was perfect and did not want to loose Face. I told him she would not bite. He spread his weight across many of the small branches but was short by about 6 inches on his reach. I told her to go to him. Any time the wind gave up for a few seconds she would inch her was down that 6 inches. She got on his hand and ran up to his shoulders. I am sure he had to go home and change his underware. He climbed down with her nails in his shoulder to hang on. He was white with fear. As soon as she was low enough to reach my hand she came to me.
I had been shopping and had money in my back pocket (I still wear jeans). I gave him what I had which was $40. He deserved more but that is what was in my pocket.
I did not see that young man before or after the rescue.
For all I know he was an angel sent to keep me from having heart failure.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:16 am

I don't know if he was an angel or not but I am sure that he DID save you from a heart attack! As to the 'convincing' them to come down to a hand they don't know, I have what I call my 'ace in the sleeve' for occasions like this: cookies! My birds would fly to the ends of the world and climb on a TRex hand for a 'cookie' - the trick is to give them the special treat VERY sparingly so they always crave it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:16 am

Pajarita wrote:I don't know if he was an angel or not but I am sure that he DID save you from a heart attack! As to the 'convincing' them to come down to a hand they don't know, I have what I call my 'ace in the sleeve' for occasions like this: cookies! My birds would fly to the ends of the world and climb on a TRex hand for a 'cookie' - the trick is to give them the special treat VERY sparingly so they always crave it.

She did not want a cookie. She wanted "Ma".
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Return to General & Off Topic