Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Lyrebird

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Lyrebird

Postby MandyG » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:20 pm

A Lyrebird is not a parrot so I wanted to post this in the General & Off Topic section. I'm just so amazed by the Lyrebird's ability to mimic that I wanted to share a video for anybody that hasn't heard of them. The sounds get really interesting after 2 minutes and just amazing after 2:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjE0Kdfos4Y&feature=related

Interestingly enough it's a very common belief that this video is a hoax and that the Lyrebird cannot mimic sounds more complicated than other bird's songs. After hearing some very impressive African Greys I find it hard to believe that this bird isn't capable of of such perfect mimicry.

For those forum members that live in Austrailia, have you ever heard or seen a Lyrebird before?
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: Lyrebird

Postby HyperD » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:27 pm

I have to admit that is pretty impressive, it cant be easy making a camera sound or chainsaw, especially as those arent really sounds that they would have heard and evolved around..

I have always wondered why birds have evolved mimicking abilities...
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal
Flight: Yes

Return to General & Off Topic