Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Dolphins have names, too!

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Dolphins have names, too!

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:05 am

It seems that using proper names is not restricted to humans and parrots... And I bet you that we will find out, in the future, that many more species use them, too. I bet you anything apes and elephants do!

https://www.zmescience.com/science/biol ... -242789930
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Dolphins have names, too!

Postby liz » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:23 am

Chickens do too. Rocky the rooster would use different sounds for each of his 6 hens. They knew who he was talking to. They were in my back yard so I spent enough time with them to pick this up. One of the hens jumped the 5 foot fence and he was yelling at her to get back in. She didn't so he went after her and put her back in.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:49 am

:lol: Well, he just couldn't let the hottie run around, could he?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:19 am

Pajarita wrote::lol: Well, he just couldn't let the hottie run around, could he?

I learned so much about chickens from them. Rocky was lord and master and the hens used to jossel on the perch to be the one close to him. They would climb over and under each other while they were preparing to go to sleep. They would perch on the back deck rail outside my kitchen window. One night Rocky had all his hens but one perched. He called to the one who was still out and she ignored him. This went on for a while until he jumped down and ran her around the shed and up on the rail. Before this I thought that roosters just messed up eggs.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to General & Off Topic