Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

birds fighting

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

birds fighting

Postby wael khayati » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:21 am

alright so about a month ago i bought a couple of lovebirds (named them victor and victoria) in a faily decent sized cage then two weeks later and out of nowhere victoria he female bird passed away nd was left with just victor, i felt like he needed company so i bought another female love bird (monica) who's younger than him and i also recieved a budgie :budgie: (called bluetooth) as a gift.
i put all of them in the cage with victor and apparenly he didn't like that, whenever one of the new birds come near him he bites their tiny legs as a way of pushing them away from his territory. i started worrying about the new birds as i didn't see em eat or drink and didn't watch them to get hurt especially that victor's much larger and older than them.
what should i do plz ?
also might i add that victor has like a small wooden house inside the cage and none of the new birds dare to even come close to it
excuse my poor english
wael khayati
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: loves birds and budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: birds fighting

Postby liz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:38 am

Welcome to the forum. You should not have put a budgie in with love birds. You should also have quarantined the birds for a month before putting the love birds together. In this time you are checking to make sure that the bird is okay and will not spread any illness to Victor. It will also give the love birds time to know each other by calling to each other. Never mix birds.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:26 am

Liz is 100% correct. You cannot put a budgie with a lovebird. Also, how do you know the gender of the lovebirds? Because both males and females look the same so, unless they were DNAd before you got them [and I don't know of a single case when this is done by the breeders or the stores], it's impossible to tell UNLESS we are talking sex-linked mutations with split parent. And knowing for a fact if they are male or female is very important with lovebirds because you can put a male and female together or two males together and they will do fine as long as the cage is large enough and there is more than one bowl of food BUT you can't put two females together because, eventually, one of them will be hurt [if not killed] by the other one. So, is it possible that you ended up with two females? Also, when you have a bird that dies without an apparent reason, you really should not put another bird with it because, for all you know, the surviving bird could be an asymptomatic carrier.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:04 am

Yes you should not have a budgie with the love birds. You should have 3 separate cages so they have their own cage. You need to have an isolation time first to make sure your new ones arent carrying anything and get your old one vet checked also since that one died that way, but since you have already put them together they should all be vet checked right away. You can put the two cages of the love birds beside each other and slowly introduce them and see if they decide to go in one cage together on their own. You may never be able to put them in the same cage. You need to think of it like this. You are put in a room with strangers and some of them are aggressive and you cant get out and thats how the parrots are when together with strange parrots and injuries and deaths can occur. Since they are small parrots you can get other cages very economically and maybe even for free.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby liz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:44 am

You could keep the lovebirds together. It is the budgie that is causing the fights. If the lovebirds fight then you would have to set up three cages. Lovebirds are name such because they love to cuddle together.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:55 am

Yes, it's their cuddling together all the time that makes them 'love - birds' but they only do it with their mates, never with just a companion.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:27 am

Tweetle Dee and Tweetle Dumb were both females. They not only cuddled but when Tweetle Dumb got sick and could not eat then Tweetle Dee fed her.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:54 am

Were they lovebirds and do you know for a fact they were both female?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:29 am

Tweetle dumb was tested and was female. I thought Tweetle Dee was a male until she started backing up to rub on things.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:08 am

Hmmm, it seems to me that Tweedle Dee was a male.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Next

Return to General & Off Topic