Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help with scared quaker parrot

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Help with scared quaker parrot

Postby amidsbs » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:27 pm

I’m still quite concerned about my girlfriend’s Quaker parrot. I’ve explained the situation in this post http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17477, but in recent visits to her house I’ve noticed that mostly the parrot is extremely scared of everything aside from his two chosen ones, her father and her brother, the rest he just fears. He is alright when those things are far from him, and if they get to close he attacks.

But when it comes to me, he goes to a whole new level of fright that has worsened in the past month. After some months of teaching my girlfriend all that I had learned about parrots, the two of us managed to get the bird out of his cage and onto a table, without any issues. That day I thought we had made improvements on the relationship, but while my girlfriend is still making little wins each day, it just went downhill from there between him and me.

Each time that I go to her house he seems a bit more scared of me, and starts these deafening screeches, lowering his head and raising his wings while he does, begging for me to leave. This happens each time I’m in the room, and when I get further he just stares at me side-eyed and shaking. He still takes treats from me, and if he is out of the cage he doesn’t even mind me unless I get too close, because he is usually paying attention to whoever is holding him. He’s also fine again as soon as I leave and starts screaming when I come back.

I swear I’ve done nothing but ignore him ever since he started getting like this, and I try to be as little as I can in the same room, mostly because I got a little disappointed that after so much effort things only got worse. I don’t even look at him to avoid the screaming. I’m also not visiting as much as I used to, but currently, it’s a nightmare to even walk into the living room or kitchen. I fear this might lead to us being unable to be in the same room, and that’s the last thing I want.

Is there any way that I can make him less afraid of my presence? Does anyone know what could’ve caused this?

:monk:
amidsbs
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Help with scared quaker parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:00 pm

My dear, it's impossible to tell why... even observing the bird now would not do much good unless one spends a couple of weeks observing the bird and its interactions with everybody in the house every day.

I would suggest you stop going into the room where he is now just so you don't add to his chronic stress. Going by what you have told us, this bird has been mistreated for so long that nothing you can do will make a difference. He needs to be rehomed to somebody who will take proper care of it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby amidsbs » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:14 pm

But that would mean not being able to go into the living room or kitchen, so it almost means I can't even go to her house, which is just not possible.
And it's not that they mistreat him, her father has improved in the past time, and I think mostly the bird was mistreated in his first two homes. Yes, they could improve some things to have the bird in a more ideal state, but I think most of the harm was done before they got him, and I don't know if that can be erased from the bird's mind.

As for my case, hopefully, he'll eventually relax and stop fearing me, but we are still gonna share rooms every now and then, and other than ignoring him I don't know what else to do
amidsbs
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:36 am

Well, please bear with me on what I am going to say because it could be misunderstood. There is a difference between 'mistreatment' and 'abuse'. Obviously, the bird has not been abused in this house but, going by your previous postings detailing the way he is cared for, I would say that he is being mistreated. Mistreating is simply not treating well and this bird, according to what we know, is not being treated well. A bird that is kept in pain is a bird that is being mistreated - a bird that is fed wrong is being mistreated - a bird that is stressed out to the point of freaking out when somebody who has never done anything to it and it's not being actively worked with somebody with enough knowledge to help him overcome this is being mistreated because all these things represent a degree of thoughtlessness in the part of the caregivers. I am sure it's not out of malice but the end result is exactly the same = a bird that is very far from being happy or even semi-content with his life. And this bird is most definitely quite unhappy.

See, the thing with birds is that loving them is just not enough, you need to have the knowledge, the willingness, the time, the patience and the commitment. And these things don't seem to be present in this bird's situation because, although you say that things have improved, going by what you are telling us now, they really haven't because, if they had, the bird would be better and not worse, right?

Look, I don't want to offend anybody but, as I told you before, although I love ALL animals, birds are my passion and quakers happen to be extra-special to me. I grew up with them and I not only have an affinity for them, I understand them better than I do other species so although they can be difficult birds for most people, I find them super-easy and it really REALLY bothers me when I hear of one that is being misunderstood/mistreated. The truth is that parrots are not for everybody. Everybody wants one but very few people are actually any good at keeping them healthy and happy because a normal lifestyle does not allow for a parrot's health or happiness. And, because they are highly intelligent [and I happen to believe that quakers are one of the most intelligent species of parrots], they suffer not only physically but also emotionally and this little bird is suffering...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General & Off Topic