Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What article/video would you like me to make?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

What article/video would you like me to make?

Postby Michael » Mon May 10, 2010 4:09 am

What would you like me to write about next? Is there any specific thing you'd like me to show/explain about Kili or write an article about? I'm going to have lots to share when I get my new Cape but until then I have a bit of a period with not much to talk about. So I'd like to give my readers a chance to offer ideas or ask questions that would merit an article or video to explain.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: What article/video would you like me to make?

Postby budgiebuddy » Mon May 10, 2010 2:43 pm

could you right or make a video for how to tell if anything is wrong with your bird and how to get them to let you check without getting bit also about when are you getting your new baby?????? :senegal:
budgiebuddy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: budgie

Postby notscaredtodance » Mon May 10, 2010 5:59 pm

It was mentioned before, but a video of kili having a tantrum, or being loud, anything to show she isn't like a show dog that will ALWAYS perform on command, and that birds are pretty free minded.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby pchela » Tue May 11, 2010 1:37 am

I agree with NotScaredtoDance. People need to know that training Kili took a lot of hard work on your part and you aren't going to be able to go buy a parrot and a week later have it doing tricks on demand. I can just imagine people seeing videos of Kili and thinking "how cute! I have to have one of those!" and then buying one without really knowing what they are getting into. That leads to either neglected or abused parrots or rehomed parrots.

In fact, it might be a good idea for a bunch of us to catch some bad behavior on video and maybe make a compilation. We can title it "Watch this before buying your Parrot" or maybe something more catchy but you the idea. Anybody have any scars from parrot bites they could share? It would not be a bad idea to have a video of the downsides of owning a parrot.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Michael » Tue May 11, 2010 2:44 am

This sounds like an interesting idea and I will see what I can do. Although I doubt it will be easy or interesting to watch. You see, seeing specific good cued behavior is easy. The bad behavior is more eradic and long term. You can see a couple of tricks or fun behaviors in a minute but the bad behavior might be making loud screeches once a minute for an entire hour. There is no way to demonstrate things like this to the non-parrot owner. Also a lot of the bad behavior is attention seeking so the minute you whip out the camera, they stop doing it cause they got attention. Kili doesn't really bite me so that isn't something I can show. As for "bad behavior" besides screeching and not paying attention during training, I can't think of any specific complaints. She likes to chew the keys off my keyboard which is annoying, but once again, she's just playing and it isn't really "bad behavior." It's just bad to me and I have to learn to manage it by putting the keyboard away or something.

Do you understand what I mean how bad behavior isn't so specific or easy to show as good behavior is? I can write about it but I don't know if I'll be able to get it on video. I don't think it's nearly as exciting or convincing as the good behavior and it is hard to get across that she might do tricks for 5 minutes but scream for 5 hours.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pchela » Tue May 11, 2010 1:13 pm

Yeah, I see what you mean. It would be difficult to portray to people on video what they are really getting into. It just seems like it would be a good idea if it were doable. I really think people need to be informed of the bad as well as the good before buying a parrot. I'll think about this... there must be some way to do it and make it entertaining etc.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Return to General & Off Topic