Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What is the greatest challenge of parrot ownership?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: What is the greatest challenge of parrot ownership?

Postby Natacha » Wed May 12, 2010 2:34 pm

notscaredtodance wrote:Not to be a debbie downer but I imagine that the smoke would kill the bird before the firemen even got there. Their respiratory systems are just so so sensitive.

Pretty much what I would figure.

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:Do you have a sign for the firemen? That reminds me, we never put ours up, but they make little signs you can put near the doors that say how many pets are inside for just this purpose. No guarantee, but it does hedge the bets a bit.

No I don't. I had fought with that thought and have decided against it.
Why?

I live in a building with other people, lots of whom I don't know. And even if I want to believe that people are mostly good, I know better than to be naive about it and don't want to overly advertise that there are parrots to found in my apartment when I'm not around. Chances are that someone will break in before there will be a fire...
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: What is the greatest challenge of parrot ownership?

Postby miajag » Wed May 12, 2010 2:45 pm

For me the greatest challenge is the time and patience required for positive reinforcement training. The results are definitely worth it, though.
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic