Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hot Parrot Topics

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Hot Parrot Topics

Postby Michael » Tue May 11, 2010 3:08 am

What are the hot topic debates in parrot keeping these days anyway? Are there any we've missed all together? I think the two big ones are parrot nutrition and clipping. I think things like merits of positive reinforcement, benefits of clicker, hand feeding, and keeping parrots in pairs have been put to rest. While there is still discussion about them, I don't think it is so polarized any more. Are there any other hot topics that are being discussed elsewhere or that are emerging nowadays?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Hot Parrot Topics

Postby pchela » Tue May 11, 2010 1:15 pm

Convincing people of proper cage size was always an issue where I worked. That, and a surprising amount of people want to buy unweaned babies.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby lzver » Tue May 11, 2010 1:56 pm

Not sure if I've seen the topic of regular fruits/veggies vs. organic here. I try to feed organic when possible or not too cost inhibitive. Its not always possible to get the same variety of organic fruits and vegetables I find.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby notscaredtodance » Tue May 11, 2010 3:00 pm

I think one bird vs two birds is still an issue. In switzerland or sweden, i forget which, they just passed a law that it's considerd animal cruelty to only own one parrot, since they are considered social animals. (same for goldfish and a ton of other animals).
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby miajag » Tue May 11, 2010 3:05 pm

Wow, what a ridiculous law.
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby notscaredtodance » Tue May 11, 2010 3:21 pm

Considering how many parrots pluck themselves to death from boredom and owner neglect, I think it's alright.

Not every bird owner is as diligent about it's wellbeing as we are. I meet some really terrible pet owners where I work and it makes me wish there were laws here for stuff like that. (More like laws for puppy training classes and yearly vet checkups, not so much keeping animals in pairs)
notscaredtodance
Conure

Postby miajag » Tue May 11, 2010 3:25 pm

Yeah, but how many parrots are killed by cage-mates who turn aggressive against them and attack? I don't know the answer, but it's definitely not zero. We've had this discussion on here in the past. I'm fine with people buying two parrots and keeping them together if that's what they want to do, but it's ridiculous to make that a requirement.
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby HyperD » Tue May 11, 2010 3:29 pm

That could easily be solved other ways though.. Making people run courses before they are allowed to own a parrot?

But I do agree, there are way too many parrots up for secondhand because the owners didn't treat them right and have not had the best relationships with their parrot.

Which brings up another point, some people say that if you have two parrots they will bond together and not so much with the human owner... Not sure if it's true but it's something to think about.

Are you allowed odd numbers of parrots? If you have three, two bond and one is left alone. Is that cruelty or is it a case of nature running its course?
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby pchela » Tue May 11, 2010 3:31 pm

The law doesn't say that the parrots have to be in the same cage does it? That would be absolutely ridiculous.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby notscaredtodance » Tue May 11, 2010 3:38 pm

Tbh I haven't read up on it, I heard it from Steve Hartman, who most of what he says I don't agree with. My philosophy is if you don't have enough time to stimulate one bird, you definitely don't have enough time for two. But he was adamant about having two birds, and then I read an article online to confirm that he wasn't just making up stuff. It's in a reputable newspaper article online if you guys want to google it.

You'll probably hear me repeat a lot of what he says. I think the guy is a nutcase on 8/10 of his parrot philosophies.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Next

Return to General & Off Topic