Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What does this mean?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

What does this mean?

Postby Java » Tue May 11, 2010 10:42 am

I don't see a place to ask about a specific thing our birds may be doing that we question what it means and where we can ask what it means if anybody knows, so if this is in the wrong spot, please feel free to move it.

I have 2 main behaviors I am curious as to what they mean.

My Sennie does this thing with his neck and mouth that at first seeing it, thought it was dancing. On further examining him, it appears to be related to eating/digesting. Anybody know what this is? I really can't describe it other than he bends his neck or ducks his neck down combined with a grinding sound, clicking of beak. Am I right that birds put food in their gullet (not sure of technical term for it) and later regurgitate it to digest it, or am I totally crazy? Is this the neck behavior I am seeing? Best description is he ducks his neck down while opening his beak and closing it and making a grinding-type sound.

Second, my Sennie LOVE TO KISS me. He can do this for hours and will stretch his neck out as far as he can go to reach my lips, (which I keep tightly closed) and kisses me over and over and even uses his tongue to touch my lips. What is he doing? Birds do not really kiss in the wild do they? He never bites my lips either, no matter what, but will bite my ears, fingers, and whatever else. It reminds me somwhat of a bird that had fallen out of a tree I had tried to save (later brought to wildlife rehabber) when it was begging for food, but my Sennie is definitely kissing me. He literally can do this all day long if I were to allow him to.
Java
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Jenday Conure
Flight: No

Return to General & Off Topic