Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Captive birds in Vietnam

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Captive birds in Vietnam

Postby Michael » Wed May 12, 2010 5:20 am

As some of you may know, I'm currently traveling abroad in Vietnam. I get too much "free time" at the hotel, especially during the day when it is too hot to go outside, so I end up writing on here as a way to relax.

So I'm currently in Hoi An, a peaceful town by the ocean which once served as a merchant shipping town but has now become a popular tourist attraction. As I've been walking down the urban streets, I was surprised to hear lots of birds singing. This was especially strange because there aren't many trees in town. On the first night here actually I didn't think much of it but they were really singing this morning so I paid more attention and found the source.

A16W7733b_sm.jpg
Hanging cage in street
A16W7733b_sm.jpg (89.92 KiB) Viewed 9024 times

It turns out that rather than having speakers with music like stores in the US typically do, they hang a bird cage near the entrance for decoration and music.

A16W7750b_sm.jpg
Symmetrically opposed cages in top corners
A16W7750b_sm.jpg (73.14 KiB) Viewed 9024 times

I think the birds are kept more predominantly for their songs rather than their looks because the cages aren't necessarily placed in the most visible places. Many stores and homes hang them somewhere over the first floor entrance but in a way so it blends in and you just hear bird songs.

The guide explained to me that it is the locals' way of keeping in touch with nature in an urban environment.

A16W7872b_sm.jpg
Balcony full of different birds in cages
A16W7872b_sm.jpg (77.85 KiB) Viewed 9024 times

Something I noticed was that the birds are very jittery and start hopping to the cage bars, back to perch, to cage bars, etc when anyone approaches. I think they still have a reflex flight instinct that always kicks in but cannot be used. Most of the cages only have a single perch, no toys, and just water and food. I don't know how these local wild caught species are affected compared to companion parrots.

A16W7905b_sm.jpg
Local bird store
A16W7905b_sm.jpg (80.29 KiB) Viewed 9024 times

Which brings me to the local bird store. Walking around town, I bumped into this bird store and knowing me, there was no way I could pass this without taking a look.

A16W7890b_sm.jpg
Hill Mynah, complete with cage
A16W7890b_sm.jpg (87.92 KiB) Viewed 9024 times

This was the first time I'd come across a Hill Mynah in person. It was wild caught and brought in from nearby Laos. Complete with cage, only $60. I bet they cost at least $1000 in the US?

A16W7893b_sm.jpg
Hill Mynah close up
A16W7893b_sm.jpg (70.37 KiB) Viewed 9024 times

Now this brings us to the parrot portion of this article. I'm not aware of any wild local species but they had imported budgerigars for sale at an incredible bargain price of $3-$4. I wanted to know if they were bred or wild caught but this was too difficult of a question for them to translate and answer.

A16W7897b_sm.jpg
Budgerigars for sale in Vietnam
A16W7897b_sm.jpg (81.59 KiB) Viewed 9024 times

Finally I was having lunch at a place with a lot of bird singing. Turned out they had about 10 strategically placed cages to form a surround sound sort of entertainment system.

A16W7917b_sm.jpg
Local bird in round wooden cage
A16W7917b_sm.jpg (97.21 KiB) Viewed 9024 times

I didn't know the round "tweety bird" style hanging cages were still around or in real use but they sure are here in Vietnam. In fact they are made from wood to look more natural. They often hang them on trees and other hidden places to create a more natural place for the bird songs to come from.

A16W7919b_sm.jpg
Here's one in a round metal cage
A16W7919b_sm.jpg (86.56 KiB) Viewed 9024 times
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Captive birds in Vietnam

Postby HyperD » Wed May 12, 2010 10:46 am

I feel sorry for those birds, seeing all those people come and go and be stuck in the cage with nothing to do :(
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby MandyG » Thu May 13, 2010 3:05 pm

It's really neat how they have them everywhere, but I agree that it's really sad that they have nothing to do but sing.

Thanks for the update! I love hearing about other countries, especially their birds.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Erithacus » Thu May 13, 2010 7:53 pm

The 1st pic is a Bulbul. It is a common bird in Malaysia. A good singer can fetch a good price.
Kilaya ...cag
Pipi, Zizi, Eclipse and Zico ... gcc
Erithacus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 19
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby pchela » Thu May 13, 2010 7:59 pm

All of those poor birds just make me want to cry. I should not have read this topic. :(
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Titanius » Thu May 13, 2010 8:59 pm

Beautiful but sad considering how out of the way parrot owners go to make sure their birds are being well taken care of.But I guess if the birds in those cases aren't seen as companion pets and just a source of adding to the ambience their probably gonna be treated as such.
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Return to General & Off Topic