Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Your least favorite part of parrot ownership?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Your least favorite part of parrot ownership?

Postby Natacha » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:42 pm

..cause let's face it, there might be some things we like less.

For me, it has to be the cage cleaning. But since I don't like cleaning in general, it's no big surprise.
;)
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Your least favorite part of parrot ownership?

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:51 pm

Then it's a big surprise you got so many more birds (and the cages they of course come with)! Of course I think that more parrots (up to a certain number) is only a little more cleaning. Once you get to the point of getting the cleaning supplies out, and going, the extra cages aren't as much more work as getting started on one cage by itself. So if one cage takes 10 minutes, every additional cage is say only 5 minutes.

To me the worst part must be when the bird gets moody. When she is being good, we both have a good time, no one gets hurt, and everyone is happy. I don't mind cleaning the cage so much at those times though I try to do least cleaning till it is necessary. But when she is being moody, she gets nippy, screechy, flys away, and can just be a complete pain in the butt. It's not even that I expect her to be grateful but it's really upsetting when you work so hard to make bird happy and it gets moody out of nowhere and tries to bite and do things like that.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Natacha » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:10 pm

Michael wrote:Then it's a big surprise you got so many more birds (and the cages they of course come with)! Of course I think that more parrots (up to a certain number) is only a little more cleaning. Once you get to the point of getting the cleaning supplies out, and going, the extra cages aren't as much more work as getting started on one cage by itself. So if one cage takes 10 minutes, every additional cage is say only 5 minutes.

I guess the good outweighs the bad right?
And it's true, once you get going, it's more bearable. But I have to get going and sometimes that's hard ;)

When I add one cage at the time, I don't see much of a difference. When I was still living at my parents' and was stuck bird sitting when they went away, I would go from 2 cages to 8-9, which I wasn't too happy with. Plus, several of her cages were much bigger than what I usually cleaned. I did clean them regularly but didn't enjoy it.

Michael wrote:To me the worst part must be when the bird gets moody. When she is being good, we both have a good time, no one gets hurt, and everyone is happy. I don't mind cleaning the cage so much at those times though I try to do least cleaning till it is necessary. But when she is being moody, she gets nippy, screechy, flys away, and can just be a complete pain in the butt. It's not even that I expect her to be grateful but it's really upsetting when you work so hard to make bird happy and it gets moody out of nowhere and tries to bite and do things like that.

The terrible twos are coming ;)

Seriously, I have to say that one of the reasons I like Pois (and Sennies in particular) is because of their stubbornness. I like a bird with a little attitude ;)
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:33 pm

Natacha wrote:Seriously, I have to say that one of the reasons I like Pois (and Sennies in particular) is because of their stubbornness. I like a bird with a little attitude ;)

Yeah but you got it backwards. Senegals are a little bird with a big attitude! :senegal:
Michael
Macaw

Postby MandyG » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:42 am

I don't mind cleaning so that part is fine for me (I clean, my husband cooks, so it works for us!).

I think my least favorite part is the attitude! I don't think there's many amazon owners on this forum, but if you've ever handled one they can be quite reactive and have a BIG attitude! I think of them as being hot blooded like a thoroughbred (this will make sense to anybody that's ridden a thoroughbred).

He's a very sweet cuddly bird that definitely has a desire to please, but once that attitude kicks in, it's definitely best to stay away!

I'm a little scared for the terrible twos to start... :?

Also my least favorite part is the cost! Sure you could easily make keeping a bird a very cheap experience if you provide them with an unhealthy diet and very minimal toys, but if you want to do everything for your bird that you can (and I'm sure that most, if not all of us, on this forum are in that category) it can get rather expensive.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Natacha » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:07 pm

MandyG wrote:I don't mind cleaning so that part is fine for me (I clean, my husband cooks, so it works for us!).

See I cook and he cleans...and I like it that way ;)
Except when it comes to bird cages, I do it.
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Postby MissLady9902 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:47 pm

He's a very sweet cuddly bird that definitely has a desire to please, but once that attitude kicks in, it's definitely best to stay away!

My friend has a yellow nape amazon who is 11 years old. I know what you mean about auttitude! He's a very sweet bird but when he gets grumpy or super excited it's best to keep fingers and toes away from him! When he's in that state my friend uses a fleece blanket over her arm to pick him up. It works pretty well. Just an idea in case something happens with your bird.

My least favorite part of owning birds is leaving them at home when I'm at work! I don't mind the cleaning, cost and vocilaziations!
I guess the one thing I really don't like is other peoples ignorance about birds and people who are afraid of my bird for no reason but will interact with my german shepherd without a second thought. (who's going to do more damage?)

Oh well!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:51 pm

I think I'd bet on the bird being a more likely one to cause damage. It's not that parrots bite without cause but being mammals, we can read other mammals better and they us. With birds it's a completely different body language so we totally misunderstand them. Any human can spot a ferocious dog from a mile away and knows to stay away from it or can see it wagging its tail begging to be pet. Parrots are smaller and much more subtle so I think it's us humans that mess up. Also I think it has to do with upbringing. Practically all kids (even without a dog in their own household) have been exposed to dogs throughout their childhood, be it in movies or outside. Parrots are a much more private matter and grossly underrepresented so we just don't have those early on experiences of understanding them. Unless you specifically grow up in a household that owns them, I don't think you'd have much knowledge or experience with them till owning one.
Michael
Macaw

Return to General & Off Topic