Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Name a Pet Peeve

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Name a Pet Peeve

Postby Titanius » Thu May 13, 2010 9:52 pm

Yess their our babies and our buddies. But parrots do have their own set of quirks . Name somethings your parrot does that sometime annoys you.
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Name a Pet Peeve

Postby notscaredtodance » Thu May 13, 2010 11:09 pm

I go between loving and hating that my bird will sit on my shoulder for hours and preen my hair. Sometimes she gets herself tangled in it, which is a mess.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Fri May 14, 2010 4:20 am

You want me to give a name to the peeve that is my pet? That would be Kili :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby lzver » Fri May 14, 2010 6:10 am

For whatever reason, Jessie has gotten into the habit of screaming at my husband whenever he comes home from work - I think it has something to do with not liking his big red lunch bag. Anytime you touch his lunch bag it sets Jessie off. It was cute in the beginning, but we could really do without it now. But we wind up laughing because we've told Jessie so many times to shut up that Lucy now says it for us. I've tried distracting him with toys and treats, but it doesn't matter.

Another pet peeve, is when they dunk their food in their water and turn it into parrot soup. They both try to soften their pellets and I think more lands in the water than they actually eat. As a result, I usually change their water 3 - 4 times a day.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Michael » Fri May 14, 2010 8:08 am

lzver wrote:Another pet peeve, is when they dunk their food in their water and turn it into parrot soup. They both try to soften their pellets and I think more lands in the water than they actually eat. As a result, I usually change their water 3 - 4 times a day.

Dunno about the first one but the second can be easily solved by using a water bottle or taking water away during pellets eating time and serve after pellets taken out.
Michael
Macaw

Postby lzver » Fri May 14, 2010 8:47 am

Michael wrote:
lzver wrote:Another pet peeve, is when they dunk their food in their water and turn it into parrot soup. They both try to soften their pellets and I think more lands in the water than they actually eat. As a result, I usually change their water 3 - 4 times a day.

Dunno about the first one but the second can be easily solved by using a water bottle or taking water away during pellets eating time and serve after pellets taken out.

We're considering the use of water bottles. Any advice on transitioning them to water bottles after being used to water bowls for 4 years?

Pellets are primarily made available when we are not home, so I don't want to remove water for that long. I have tried moving their water bowls to the other side of the cage, instead of right beside and that doesn't stop it. They just walk across the cage when they want to soak their food.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Michael » Fri May 14, 2010 8:49 am

That is really for another topic.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Natacha » Sat May 15, 2010 7:24 am

Sometimes, when I let them out, I'd like for them to do their own thing and be left alone for a little bit and that is when they all want to be on me.

But really, my biggest pet peeve about parrots, but not something they do is the following conversation with strangers/people I know who aren't familiar with parrots:

"Hey
-Hey
-You have parrots?
-Yup.
-Do they talk?"

It's basically always the first question that arises when people know I have parrots..and when I say that not all parrots speak "human talk" but have their own way of communicating, I loose all the interest those people had in the first place.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby skeetersunconure » Sat May 15, 2010 12:23 pm

when i spend like 2 hours playing with skeeter and then i put him back and 10 seconds laterhe is screaming again! u have to love sun conures right? :roll:
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby Titanius » Sat May 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Natacha, I can level. A family member of mine was asking me about Jasper and after I told her he couldn't talk she gave me flack for having a "dumb" bird. I got rather offended.:roll: As if they were born to speak like we do.
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Next

Return to General & Off Topic