Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Captive dogs in Vietnam

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Captive dogs in Vietnam

Postby Michael » Sat May 15, 2010 4:32 pm

You can safely read up to the divider line but read my warning before you dare scroll down past that.

WARNING – Not for the faint of heart. You probably don't want to read this. In fact, don't read this. This is pretty off topic and I will delete this post after a few days but just to put into perspective the captive birds in Vietnam topic I wanted to mention a bit about how dogs are treated in Vietnam.

Before I reach the off limits section I wanted to mention a curious thing that will probably amaze the dog owners on here. While a full grown dog my fetch a $50 price tag, puppies often go for no more than $10-$20 USD. You're probably shocked how cheap they are compared to the price of them in the rest of the world. I explain why this is the case but you probably DO NOT want to know. So this is the end of the rated G section. Don't venture past here if you are not ready to be shocked.

--------------------------------------------------------

Scroll down if you really do want to read this.

Dogs are really cheap in Vietnam, naturally as a food commodity they'd have to be. Although a delicacy, a nice medium sized dog runs about $50 bucks. You get a nice sized dog at the market and walk it over to the restaurant and for about $20 more they will prepare the whole dog for you and your guests. On the other hand puppies are much cheaper costing between $10-$20 because they haven't been fattened up yet for eating. But if you have a pet dog and it has a litter of pups, there are guys who go around and buy them up, feed them, and then sell them on the market or to restaurants.

There are no dogs for sale now because it's the 2nd day of the lunar month. They normally eat them at the end of the lunar month so they already ate all available dogs. They think it is good luck to eat dog at the end of the lunar month but bad luck to eat in the beginning. Thus I did not get to see any dogs for sale at the market today, however, I was assured that they were quite enjoyed during the previous lunar feast.

The medium sized dogs are most highly favored, though they'll eat just about anything that barks. The large dogs are not as tender but the little ones are more bark than meat. Thus the medium sized (typically tan in color) dogs are the most highly prized for a nice home cooked family meal.

The men like to eat chicken and pig feet with a drink of rice wine to demonstrate their manliness. As for dog, all of the dog gets eaten and once again the feet are a delicacy reserved for the manliest of men. They will nibble on a dog leg not unlike chewing a Kentucky Fried Chicken leg drum right off the bone. They have many different sauces and methods of preparation depending on which section of the dog is being prepared. Vietnamese people in Hanoi really enjoy this fine delicacy and relish its flavor in their explanations of eating it.

I'm sure Vietnamese people have heard of the world famous New York hot dogs. But they must be so disappointed to learn that while they may be hot, there's little or no dog in them.

A16W8349b_sm.jpg
Vietnamese chicken bits
A16W8349b_sm.jpg (63.04 KiB) Viewed 7609 times

Unlike Americans, Vietnamese like their food to be very much alive (or as close to it) when they cook it.

A16W8344b_sm.jpg
Not fish for aquarium
A16W8344b_sm.jpg (84 KiB) Viewed 7609 times
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Captive dogs in Vietnam

Postby Erithacus » Sat May 15, 2010 5:36 pm

The Koreans and Chinese eat dog meat too. My friend tried dog meat while holidaying in Korea recently.
Kilaya ...cag
Pipi, Zizi, Eclipse and Zico ... gcc
Erithacus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 19
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Michael » Sun May 16, 2010 3:03 am

I'm in Korea right now. Heading home soon though! :D
Michael
Macaw

Postby Alexander » Sun May 16, 2010 3:10 am

We are perfectly capable of nourishing our body mechanism only by eating fruits, vegetables, seeds and perhaps some dairy products. The Cretan diet which is mostly consisted of such food products is considered one of the healthiest. Meat should become a delicacy and eventually disappear from our food habits in my opinion which I am sure will eventually happen.

Eating a dog is shoking for us who don't live in Vietnam or other countries where dog meat is part of their cuisine, but we don't have any problem eating beef which would be totally unacceptable for an Indian. If only we understood life better, I believe we would respect every creature and refrain from depriving their lives to feed ourselves.

Alexander
Alexander
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby budgiebuddy » Sun May 16, 2010 7:40 am

thank you alexander!!!!!!!!!!! I havebeen thinking that for years.
budgiebuddy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: budgie

Postby Michael » Sun May 16, 2010 9:11 pm

Alexander wrote:If only we understood life better, I believe we would respect every creature and refrain from depriving their lives to feed ourselves.

Alexander wrote:We are perfectly capable of nourishing our body mechanism only by eating fruits, vegetables, seeds and perhaps some dairy products.

Hypocrite
Michael
Macaw

Postby issy » Sun May 16, 2010 11:07 pm

Eww, sorry but I don't get the point of eating dogs..or any other animal for that matter. If we can survive off non-animal products why eat animals? At lease take the animals life into consideration and kill it humanely.

Here in Australia they eat kangaroo, crocodiles, emus and koala bears.

If people think this is bad read below (not for light-hearted):

I know a country in Asia that uses live cats and dogs for bait, for fishing sharks and whales.
Image- Sheldon

Image- Evey
issy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lorikeet
Sun Conure

Postby Titanius » Sun May 16, 2010 11:27 pm

Truely eye opening. Just because we can survive without meat doesn't mean that people want to. I'll go out on a limb and say I like the taste of meat. People have been eating meat for a long time. Of course you can stop and supplement your diet on non meat products but I have to wonder how many people would do it well.. I agree the way these animals are treated/killed should be altered but I don't see many people losing any sleep over it.
Last edited by Titanius on Mon May 17, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby bmsweb » Mon May 17, 2010 3:32 am

I eat meat all the time, I even fly fish for trout and occasionally we keep one to eat too. As far as dogs go, the only ones I like are Hot Dogs . . the New York type :0
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby Alexander » Mon May 17, 2010 9:23 am

I am sorry, Michael, but I fail to see how I am being hypocritical. If your judgement is based on the fact that I included dairy products as a possible food source I still can't explain it. You don't kill a cow to make yoghurt nor does it have to suffer to milk it (yes, I know that the conditions that these animals are often kept and the way they are treated are horrendous). In any case, what I was trying to say was that all animals have the right to live and just because we keep dogs as pets, that doesn't meant that their right to live is greater or lesser than that of a cow, a chicken or whatever.

Anyway, I am not judging anyone here, I am just stating my opinion...
Alexander
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Next

Return to General & Off Topic