Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How Thorougly Do You Check Forum

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

What percent of posts do you open?

95-100%
21%
75-95%
21%
50-75%
36%
25-50%
21%
5-25%
No votes
0-5%
No votes

Total votes : 14

How Thorougly Do You Check Forum

Postby Michael » Wed May 19, 2010 11:04 am

I'm curious if people glance at just the topics that interest them or take a look at every post? Do you read everything start to finish or just skim posts?

Personally, I take a look at every single thing posted. Besides checking for spam/problems I also can't stand having little red "unread" markers so I just have to click every post before I can be satisfied that there are no unread messages left. I'd say I read in full at least a good 70% of things posted on the forum by everyone. The other 30% I skim or just glance at. Generally I like to be in the loop of what is going on here and who said what. But on occasion some things posted are just so unrelated to me that I just can't read them (recipes for instance). I will admit that I am somewhat more likely to read a post if I am more familiar with the poster (and they didn't bore me to death in previous posts :lol:)

So I am curious, how many of you have 0 unread posts on the forum because you check everything? Or do you have a specific section you check everything but not others? Or do you just read the ones that you find relevant? Does the name of the poster affect the likelihood of you reading the post? Is there anything you'd like to say/recommend to people whose posts you end up skipping what they can do to make them more interesting so that you would be more likely to read/respond?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: How Thorougly Do You Check Forum

Postby HyperD » Wed May 19, 2010 11:35 am

I have probably read most if not all of the new posts since I joined... With the exception of the introductions..
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby MandyG » Wed May 19, 2010 1:09 pm

I've read almost every post on here (a little easier for me because I've been here since the beginning ;) ).

I'm still a little behind on some sections because I was away for about a month and I haven't gone through all of them yet but they're still marked as unread until I have the time to read through them. Only about a dozen posts left to go before I'm caught up :) .
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby pchela » Wed May 19, 2010 1:55 pm

I read all of the new posts each time I come on but I'm sure I've missed some that are now buried.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Michael » Wed May 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Ok, in fairness to newer members, for the purpose of the vote, vote based on how many posts you read since you've joined. So if you joined a week ago but read everything since you joined but not archives, that's fine for voting 100%.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Natacha » Wed May 19, 2010 5:01 pm

I couldn't say.

I do not look at everything..but couldn't pin down a percentage.

Quite honestly, with being away for a bit, a lot of "new" stuff was there for me when I came back..and a lot of it was old and didn't seem of interest so I didn't bother. Some stuff just doesn't appeal to me, by title anyways, so I don't bother opening such threads since I have limited time to spend here.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby lzver » Wed May 19, 2010 8:08 pm

I would say I read 70 - 75% of the posts. There are some by the topic that I don't think I'd be interested in, so I skip those.

I usually go straight to the 'View active topics' link when I'm in a hurry and just want to keep up with current conversations. When I have more time, I go back and read some older posts. If I see that a thread has been replied to my one of the 'regulars' I always check it out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby skeetersunconure » Wed May 19, 2010 8:51 pm

i check the forum every day but i usually only read half the posts because there are so many!
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby bmsweb » Thu May 20, 2010 12:58 am

I keep an eye on 3 other forums along with FB etc, so I usually check the 33-50% range. When I first joined I would read everything :)
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed May 26, 2010 4:53 pm

I scan new posts in the subject areas I'm most interested in, and I catch up on other areas when I have more time on my hands. I use the "mark as read" feature so I can clear the slate periodically. So I don't even attempt to read everything from everyone, but I do try to use the Search feature to catch up on back threads before I post a new topic.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Next

Return to General & Off Topic