Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Stupid, stupid mistake.

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Stupid, stupid mistake.

Postby pchela » Wed May 19, 2010 2:06 pm

So yesterday afternoon I was doing my normal cage clean up routine and went to wash the bird bowls that had fresh food in them. Usually I just fill each bowl with soap and hot water and let is sit for a few minutes before scrubbing them but they were particularly dirty so I decided to fill up the sink with soapy water and soak them that way instead. Well, I'm usually so careful about putting the birds away when I'm doing stuff in the kitchen but I rarely fill the sink up like that so I guess I just didn't think about it being a hazard (and also, my birds don't like to get near the water... I think Linus was interested in the bubbles) and of course, Linus, my caique fell in the water. It was extremely hot and he clearly skalded himself. He was running around like a lunatic and squealing. I caught him and soaked him in cool water for a minute to relieve the pain and then wrapped him in a towel and tried to comfort him. I felt so terrible and guilty. I was not doing my job and taking care of him properly. :cry: He's is totally fine now and was fine an hour after it happened. I think it was equivalent to when I make a bath too hot and have to sloooowly ease my way into it because it hurts only he didn't get to ease his way in.

So, I shared this on the off chance that somebody might learn from my mistake and avoid this happening to their bird.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Re: Stupid, stupid mistake.

Postby MandyG » Wed May 19, 2010 2:27 pm

I'm so glad he's ok! Poor little guy :( .

And thanks for sharing this. My Amazon is never out when my husband is cooking but it never crossed my mind that it might be dangerous for him to be out while he's doing dishes in the sink. He always fills the sink right to the top and it's always really hot. He's always right by the sink when it's full so I wasn't worried about Mojo falling in and drowning but I never thought of the temperature. Thank you so much for posting this before I had to learn about it the hard way.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed May 19, 2010 2:30 pm

Don't feel too bad, at least it had a happy ending and the little guy is fine! We're all going to make slips once in a while, it's not really human nature to be perfect. Birds seem to be remarkably good at getting into trouble!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby lzver » Wed May 19, 2010 2:35 pm

I'm glad the little guy is ok. Thanks for sharing so others can be aware of the potential danger.

Try not to be too hard on yourself. You're little guy is ok and its an unfortunate way to learn from a mistake.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby pchela » Wed May 19, 2010 3:30 pm

Thanks, everybody, for the kind words. I am just glad that he is okay. It could have been much worse.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby skeetersunconure » Wed May 19, 2010 4:45 pm

aww poor little guy! but dont worry it kinda happened to me 2. i had skeeter on my shouler when i was just washing my hands cuz he pooped on me :roll: anyway it was in the kitchen and the sink had a bowl soaking in soapy water and he wanted to take a bath so he jumoed in the soapy dish! and i was thinking befor that even skeeter isnt that stupid to jump in deep soapy water but of course he did :shock: im glad your buddy is okay though! :thumbsup:
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby bmsweb » Thu May 20, 2010 1:01 am

You're only human!

Look at it this way you had a major wake-up call and the fact that you've posted here, you've made us all stop and think! So potentially a lot of good would have come of this, not only for yourself, but us too :)

Happy to hear it all turned out OK
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby greymatter » Thu May 20, 2010 4:10 pm

I had one cockatiel fly into the toilet after a shower, and I sat on one who was on the couch once(he was between the cushions).

It happens - all that matters is that you rescued your bird quickly :) Hopefully he's in good spirits!
"You be good...I love you...see you tomorrow" - Alex the Grey
greymatter
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot, Caique, Cockatiel
Flight: No

Return to General & Off Topic