Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Craigslist

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Craigslist

Postby Natacha » Wed May 19, 2010 4:58 pm

Michael wrote:Who's ever heard of a rescue Cape? Even if there were one, I'm sure it would get snatched up right away as a novelty.

I never ever EVER head of such a thing, and did tell my friends who run a rescue to let me know the moment they get one, if it ever happens ;) I have seen a Cape parrot for sale in another city (several hours away and it was quite expensive to boot) on want-adds once. Just once.

Seriously though, I know a women from a forum who managed to have two rehome Capes. However, I think she knew the owners before hand (both came from different places I believe and were spaced out). Can't tell you how terribly jealous I was, specially when she got the second one which was a female (which is what I want).

I've been scouring want adds on occasions for a female Red-bellied - saw one once, went to visit and did NOT buy the bird, regardless of how bad I wanted one. It did not look healthy (dull feathers and some started to curl in weird places), had started to pluck and was rather mean. Didn't want to risk getting my birds sick and didn't want to deal with another "problem" bird (who's problems were so obvious and numerous to boot). On top of everything, it was 10 years old and was being sold the same price as a baby without anything so I walked away - Joey I had purchased just shy of his 3rd birthday, he came with a nice decent cage, a travel cage, a wack of toys, food as well as two Tupperware (yes the brand name stuff) containers for said food and all of that was the same price as a baby, at least what the women who used to breed them around here was selling them fore. Quite frankly, Joey was well worth every penny spent then and then some ;)

Anyways, to get back on track, I had finally settled on getting a baby but, through connections online, I might be getting another rehome..female Red-bellied of course. Nothing definitive now, I first have to see if it "clicks"....
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Wed May 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Why do you prefer female Cape? For the lovely red baby forehead patch remaining through life?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Natacha » Wed May 19, 2010 5:18 pm

Michael wrote:Why do you prefer female Cape? For the lovely red baby forehead patch remaining through life?

Haha it would be a bonus (I do like the coloured forehead), but that is not the reason.

I've often heard/read that males can become a handful during the hormonal days and females just tend to have a naturally sweeter predisposition. The sweeter disposition is the biggest winning factor.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby lzver » Wed May 19, 2010 6:09 pm

Pchela ... you sure opened a can of worms ;)

I try not to look on sites like that. I was looking on Petfinder a year or so ago and it made me depressed because I couldn't help any of the birds ... or other animals for that matter.

Pchela, you have rehomed and fostered birds. I can say you've done more than I have. You should feel proud of the birds you have helped ... although I totally understand that it's difficult to ignore situations when you know birds are being neglected.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby pchela » Wed May 19, 2010 9:42 pm

A friend of mine just bought a Cape off of Craigslist in Dallas for... wait for it... $200. Seriously. It was being kept in a cockatiel cage, poor thing. That's the only one I've heard of being rehomed though.

Thank you for the kind words Lzver. I have rehomed and fostered some but I just can't help that sad feeling when I see a bird that's obviously not being treated well in the want ads.

I do understand that there are situations where people have to rehome their birds and honestly, if you aren't happy the bird won't be either and you should rehome. The thing is though, I feel it is your responsibility to make absolutely sure that the bird goes to a good home. Selling him to the first person to respond to your ad is not responsible in my opinion. *sigh* I just need to stay off of Craigslist. I'm currently looking for a cage form my Grey which is why I've been looking lately.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic