Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Did you choose your rehomed?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Did you choose your rehomed?

Postby Michael » Wed May 19, 2010 4:13 pm

Did you choose your rehomed parrot or did it choose you? What I mean is, if you have a rehomed parrot, were you looking to get one, perhaps check out a bunch that needed a home, and then acquired one. Or were you completely not looking for a parrot but someone offered you one or asked you to take it?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Did you choose your rehomed?

Postby Natacha » Wed May 19, 2010 4:30 pm

With Joey...I wasn't really wanting to add any birds at the time but for some reason, I found myself one evening looking at online adds (which I don't do very often actually) and found the one for Joey, which happened to be quite old at the time. Seeing how Red-bellieds weren't that common and that I did know I wanted one eventually, I figured I'd write to the add poster, really thinking that Joey was no longer available (seriously, the add was a month old if not more) and since the add had drifted far away in the list, the person just didn't bother to take it off,

Well I was wrong.

He was very much available and the fact that I wanted to meet Joey a few times before actually committing to buying him, since I wanted to make sure he was right for my boyfriend and myself (see if it "clicked" in other words) impressed the seller who also did not want to sell him to just anyone. He had actually said no to other interested people before.

The first visit wasn't the greatest; it was in March and it still got dark pretty early and we went to visit during an evening. Joey was putting himself to bet at that time so he didn't really want to cooperate (nor do I blame him). We went back during the day and it was a totally different story; he came to both my boyfriend and myself and "showed off". I think it was a mutual decision; Joey had not performed that way for other people and both my boyfriend and myself were willing to take him in. We went to get the money (just to prove how uncertain I had been up to that point) and then took him home.

Both Zuri and Petey come from a rescue which is ran by people I know.
I knew I had wanted to add a Meyer's for a bit and when Petey showed up, he was actually spoken for by another person I knew. She took him in, which did sadden me, but I figured another one would show up. Then, since Petey had "turned" on her (once the honeymoon period was over) and only wanted to be with that person's husband (who didn't really care for the birds) and started terrorizing the women, well he came back to the rescue. Knowing his inclination to being not-so-pleasant to women, I still wanted to take him in thinking this poor sweetheart needed a stable home. I do have to say that Petey didn't have much to say in coming into the family but quickly took to my boyfriend (who was actually gone when I got Petey, but he knew it was going to happen). Almost two years later and he's still here and getting to be much better around me and is much MUCH more tolerable of the other birds compared to the beginning of our relationship.

Zuri..well Zuri came in because I wanted a "sweeter" Meyer's, compared to Petey at least. Given he was still quite young but needed some work (very shy and nervous bird), I figured I'd take him in. Again, not much say on Zuri's behalf, but he did seem to take quickly to me during my first visit with him (which resulted in the rescue owners letting him go to me much faster than first anticipated). He's come out of his shell since, although still a bit weary around strangers, he's much more outgoing at home.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby pchela » Thu May 20, 2010 1:26 pm

One of my rehomes I bought off of Craigslist with the intention of finding her a good home. She was a female red belly, 3 years old and they were asking $150 for her and her nice cage. She ended up in a great home with a guy who used to do behavioral rehab work with parrots.

I also had a Timneh Grey and a female Caique with beak problems from a breeder in town who I found good homes for. Willow, the Timneh was with me for several months and I grew quite attached to her. I still wish I had her back and regret finding her a home. They required extra searching for just the right home because of their special needs.

Another Timneh Grey I bought at a birdmart because he was in poor shape and I felt terrible for him (this was before I knew any better). I found him a home as well with a girl whose parents raised parrots so she grew up around them and had tons of experience.

Lastly, my two Pois, Nicholas and Dax were given to me by a man I met when I worked at the pet store. He was a regular and we became friends and when he asked I wasn't looking to add any birds but after some consideration I took them. I had them for almost a year and I grew very attached to them. I was supposed to keep them permanently but my friends health got better and though he never directly asked for them back, I knew he missed them and I just couldn't keep them away from him in good conscience. I cried and cried when they went home (and when Willow left as well) but it worked out okay. They are with their original owner and are happy and so is he. He was so grateful to me for taking care of them during his illness that he bought me an African Grey! Also, he has put Nicholas and Dax in his will and they will come to me if anything happens to him.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Michael » Thu May 20, 2010 2:01 pm

Is there a reason you called it a "Red-tailed Grey Parrot" rather than a Congo African Grey in your profile?
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Natacha » Thu May 20, 2010 2:22 pm

Michael wrote:Is there a reason you called it a "Red-tailed Grey Parrot" rather than a Congo African Grey in your profile?

I was wondering that as well..
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Ark » Thu May 20, 2010 3:02 pm

My Timneh Grey is a rehome. When I used to work at a pet store, I met her owner and we used to talk alot about our birds. Her circumstances changed and she could not longer keep her bird and she offered her to me. I went to see her and it clicked right away and let me tell you, it was so hard to take her home because her owner was so sad to no be able to keep her. She had the bird for 10 years, I still feel sad for her when I think about it.

My Brown-Headed Parrot was also a rehome. He was listed on Kijiji for nearly a year because the owner wanted a very high price. Finally I caved and went to go see him. This bird was the sweetest most special guy ever. (He is now with my ex)

My Meyer was also a rehome. A young couple had purchased her just a few monthes prior to finding out that they were expecting a baby, so they decided to find her a new home. I also found her on Kijiji. (She is also with my ex).

As for the "Red-Tailed Grey", I can't answer for Pchela obviously, but here is my own reason for not refering to my bird as a "Congo".

"Congo African Grey" is not actually the name of the nominate sub-species but a sort of generic label that stuck from when these birds were being imported "en mass" from the Congo, it was then used to describe any red-tailed Grey regardless of it's origins.

So, some people prefer not to refer to them as "Congos". Hope that gives you some insight until Pchela can come along and answer the question for herself.
Ark
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Psittacus erithacus erithacus. Psittacus erithacus timneh.

Postby pchela » Thu May 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Michael wrote:Is there a reason you called it a "Red-tailed Grey Parrot" rather than a Congo African Grey in your profile?

After the first 'Name the Parrot" game you were looking for the more technical names in our answers so I decided to look up the Grey Parrot. I knew that Congo was just a nickname so I wondered what the actual proper name was. Turns out it's the Red Tailed Grey Parrot. I'd have to do more research to find out if that's more accurate than African Grey Parrot... when you just say African Grey though, people always ask if it's a Congo or Timneh.

http://www.suite101.com/lesson.cfm/19023/2630/2
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Return to General & Off Topic