Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Our Parrot is SO QUIET...

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Our Parrot is SO QUIET...

Postby darksky » Sun May 23, 2010 1:23 pm

We've had "Ricochet" now for just a few weeks. Once we sorted out the "diet issues," he/she (we're still waiting on DNA) has been really happy & playful... but so quiet!

We've got lots of toys that we rotate ... and ... we've been doing some very cool avian enrichment stuff too (so Ricochet gets to spend lots of time out of the cage). Maybe it's the age (20 weeks old) but this is one QUIET parrot.

"Quiet" that is, until the other day - when Ricochet :caique: was on his play stand in my home office & the gardeners showed up next store with leaf blowers. WOW... suddenly, he came to life with all kinds of cool song, sounds, head bobbing, it was like a whole different bird! Then they left and he went back to being, well... super quiet again.

SInce then, we've been looking for ways to make more noise, lol, and found that when we run our Vitamix (kinda like a super-loud blender)... Ricochet "comes to life". I've attached a picture, and if you're curious how he sounds you can listen to a wave file by "right clicking- then choose save-as" on the following link (you can hear a little of the vitamix in the background):
http://www.redzebra.com/audio/caique.wav

Anyhow, anyone else find their bird seems to enjoy a little "background noise" - over and above just regular family sounds?

We've been experimenting with playing rain forrest CD's and he really comes to life with those too - not to mention they're "easier on the ears" than running our Vitamix all the time, lol.
Attachments
ricochetpic1.jpg
ricochetpic1
ricochetpic1.jpg (67.82 KiB) Viewed 4176 times
darksky
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: A super acrobatic Caique!
Flight: No

Re: Our Parrot is SO QUIET...

Postby jhuff » Sun May 23, 2010 2:26 pm

First let me say he/she is very pretty! Second, maybe he/she is getting to know you all and is a little shy? I remember when i first brought Binx home, he was SO quiet and if he did talk it was just screams! He would make pretty noises only if there was a loud movie on or the vacuum on. I wrote it off as he was just being shy and wasnt ready for us to hear him yet, so i guess by talking when there were other noises, we wouldnt hear him? lol

Now, he talks ALL the time, but for example, like today, he is very quiet. Sundays are usually our lazy days together!

I think you should just give him/her a little longer to get comfortable!

Good luck!
Binx's Mom.
jhuff
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Re: Our Parrot is SO QUIET...

Postby darksky » Mon May 24, 2010 8:24 pm

Thanks! The colors seem even brighter to us since changing Richochet's diet.

I think you might be right. He/she's still on the shy side. Took nearly a week for him to use the new Sisal Boing we put in... but today - was really on it a lot!

Guess we'll we'll just hang out and see how things unfold! Everyday is a new surprise. :-)
darksky
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: A super acrobatic Caique!

Return to General & Off Topic