Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Have you ever considered rehoming your parrot?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Have you ever considered rehoming your parrot?

Postby Michael » Mon May 24, 2010 1:52 pm

Even if it were just a momentary passing thought, have you ever thought about getting rid of your parrot? Has it ever annoyed you to no ends that you felt this way? Have you ever had a circumstance that nearly led you to rehoming but you managed to solve and keep your bird?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Have you ever considered rehoming your parrot?

Postby lzver » Mon May 24, 2010 2:18 pm

No, there has never been a moment where that was even a passing thought.

There are moments when they are being loud and annoying, but I've learned over the years how to deal with those times and distract them. They are my baby and my buddy and they're stuck with me for life ;o)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Java » Mon May 24, 2010 3:20 pm

There are only 2 things that would make me re-home my Java (whose name I may change to KiKu because whenever he is talking gibberish he sounds like he is saying KiKu and it's cute) well maybe 3.

1. If he were to hurt one of my kids and I could not keep them from him to where he can continue to hurt them (like a vicious dog that will bite or cat), however, being in a cage they know to not try to touch him w/o me around, cause he is definitely not interested in anybody but me touching him right now and he lunges at them. I would really like the lunging to stop some day so they can enjoy them like I do.

2. If his screaming was so bad that my children were kept up or my husband who wakes very early for work because otherwise I would have to cover him when I want him to be quiet, and with my work schedule being me working nights, he is up all night long and sleeps during day. He is generally good but he has learned (my fault totally) that if he screams, I will come get him out. The only reason I do this during the night is my hubby is sleeping right by. He has told me not to worry, but I can't help worrying that his sleep will be interrupted.

3. If I could not afford to feed and care for him as he should be any longer and it would be best for him that he goes to somebody who can.

But gotta say. I only have him a few weeks and I cannot see my life without him already. I have had birds before and this guy (don't know if he is a guy, I just call him one), changed the way I view birds very quickly. Most times, in my experience anyway, if you have like a parakeet, you are just there to feed them, talk with them, etc., but this guy is so into his surroundings, intuitive, is just a part of the family already.

He comes with me when I go to the bathroom. He comes with me when I do laundry. He comes with me everywhere I go, unless it is bed or outside. Everything I eat, he wants some of and although I do tend to let him have tastes of most of what I have, I know what not to let him have. I tried Oatmeal because Kili liked it, but mine is either afraid of it or I don't know, but he backs away from the spoon and won't touch it.

He is extremely playful for me. Climbs up and down my arms from one shoulder to other, etc.

This bird has very quickly become a part of me and I love him to death, but I think that is because of how interactive he is with me and our family.
Last edited by Java on Mon May 24, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Java
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Jenday Conure
Flight: No

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon May 24, 2010 3:49 pm

No, and I can't imagine rehoming Scooter unless my husband and I both became incapacitated -- or dead. I have, however, rehomed a horse. He was just NOT a good match for me personality-wise although he had some talent. It wasn't something I felt great about, but I really couldn't work with him successfully and I was paying $750 a month board plus about the same in training fees since I couldn't keep him in work... If I had land, I'd have been able to turn him out (the equivalent of creating an aviary and providing basic care) but in the city it just wasn't happening.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Mon May 24, 2010 4:10 pm

Ok, maybe I didn't quite make it clear what line of discussion I was triggering. It kind of went the wrong way with too literal of an interpretation.

Sometimes when Kili is really roudy, I can get really frustrated. For instance she once screeched in my ear so loud I nearly went deaf and for a moment I thought to myself, "if you don't shut up, you're going to find your feathered butt out of here!" These of course were just momentary passing thoughts and I'd never do such a thing, but there have been specific occasions when she did something so bad that for a moment I wouldn't want her. It doesn't take long to get past that, especially if she makes me laugh. But from time to time there are these moments of major annoyance that make me wonder how I put up with her. I'd say most of the things that drive these thoughts (and they are quite rare really and not serious) are noise and destruction. The poop, cleaning, aggression, etc don't really push me over the edge. Luckily I've been able to work around destruction as well. But the noise can sometimes be unbearable. Yeah, they say Senegal's are quite "apartment parrots" but they can let off a loud screech that will make your head hurt no less. I really wonder how owners of louder parrots handle it. In the long run she's not too noisy but once in a while she will have a noisy spell and go off non stop for a long time and in the wrong mood it can really get to you.

So I'm wondering if people have dealt with moments of frustration that made them regret having a parrot even if briefly. This question isn't so much about rational needs to rehome but the more irrational. You won't do it but it's almost tempting to under circumstances. What are those circumstances? What things does your parrot do that annoys you to no ends?
Michael
Macaw

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon May 24, 2010 4:14 pm

I can't imagine any creature, human or otherwise, that one shares one's life with won't at some point or another be too annoying for words. But hey, with a bird, you can put him or her in the cage and walk away and when you come back they will bear you no grudge for it.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Mon May 24, 2010 4:21 pm

Yeah, just sucks sometimes when cage may be out of sight but not out of earshot :(

PS, really just trying to get people to share stories when their parrot pissed them off so much they couldn't take it (even if they couldn't resist the cuteness and still own and love their parrot :thumbsup: )
Michael
Macaw

Postby Java » Mon May 24, 2010 4:28 pm

I occasionally get a bit annoyed when he (Java) has bitten my ear for the 200th time that day where I say, to a bird who does not have an idea what I am talking about, if you don't stop I will make stew out of you.

Of course, I don't mean it, and of course he continues to do it. :swaying:

So far, his screeching has not bothered me yet. It prob is cause he is quiet while I have him all night with me while I am working, and the kids are at school during week, so if he squaks while I'm sleeping, there is nobody to hear it. He is downstairs, beds are upstairs.
Java
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Jenday Conure

Postby miajag » Mon May 24, 2010 4:37 pm

There are definitely passing moments where I get really annoyed, like when she screeches right in my ear or takes a huge dump on my shirt 30 seconds after pooping on her perch, where I think "man, this bird is more trouble than she's worth" but, as with Michael they are passing thoughts and I've never seriously considered rehoming.
miajag
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby Natacha » Tue May 25, 2010 5:12 pm

I had thought of rehoming Petey, if only for a second.

It happened when my boyfriend wasn't there and at Petey's height of hatred for me. It was just too much extra work to get him to do what I wanted without having him fight it off. Utterly frustrating for both of us I'm sure, me because of what he did, him for being alone with me (he really REALLY loves my boyfriend though).

Got through it, got over it :)
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Next

Return to General & Off Topic