Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Changing a rescue/rehome parrot's name..

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Changing a rescue/rehome parrot's name..

Postby Natacha » Sat May 29, 2010 10:31 am

I am curious how many of you changed the name of a rescue/rehome parrot when you got it.

What I really want to know..how many of you successfully changed the name of a rescue/rehome that knew and responded to it's previous name?

See, I kept Petey and Joey's name, although if I had named them initially I would NOT have chose either, too common and unoriginal, but they responded well to the names and Joey learned to say it very quickly and Petey already knew it. So the names remained. Zuri, on the other hand, was named Oscar when I first got him and since he didn't respond anymore to Oscar than Zuri or anything else, I changed it (do NOT like the name Oscar for a bird, specially for a Meyer's (erm "Oscar Meyer" anyone? (I'm sure a lot of the poor Meyer's out there name Oscar (and there are a few) were named that way because of this reason)).

So I'm curious to hear about other people..
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Changing a rescue/rehome parrot's name..

Postby Ark » Sat May 29, 2010 3:36 pm

I changed my rehomed Parrots' names. I really hated what the Brown-Head was called (Baby) and what the Meyer's was called (Coco). They adjusted to their new names just fine, and though I know that some people do not agree with changing an animal's name, the way I see it, is when you are going to be saying that animal's name for years to come it may be better to just change the name then be repeating a word that you really don't like. I did not do it intentionally, but I found myself feeling like I was not giving off a good vibe when calling my birds Baby or Coco (because I really did not like the names), so I changed the names. Ringo, my Timneh, used to be named Bingo. I didn't dislike that name as much as Baby and Coco, but I changed it to Ringo because it was so similar and I liked it better. I also have so many nicknames for my birds, I wonder if they even know what their "real names" are anyways.
Ark
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Psittacus erithacus erithacus. Psittacus erithacus timneh.

Postby Natacha » Sat May 29, 2010 4:04 pm

Oy, I don't think I would have loved Baby or Coco either.

Funnily enough, one of my mom's rehomed African Grey came with the name Chucky (not sure it was really it's name or if it wasn't something the person who was selling him made up on the spot, she was rather sketchy and ran into troubles at one point..anyway, back on topic). Eventually, "Chucky" decided he wanted to be called Coco (saying Coco each time we said Chucky). He's even now added our family name to end of it. Can't really argue with a name if the parrot chooses it, no? ;)

As for Joey, not a fan but don't hate it. Plus..it does kinda fit him.

And you should hear Petey saying his name. It's enough to want to keep it ;)

But I am considering a bird who's name will have to change if I get her. I do NOT like it but apparently she does know it and says it too.
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby pchela » Sat May 29, 2010 4:55 pm

What is the birds name?

When I had Nicholas, I called him Nicodemus instead because I liked it better. Nicholas just doesn't sound like a bird name to me. But, my point is, maybe there is something similar you can name her so she will still respond?

When Nicholas came to me he always said, "No Screaming!" but our cats name is Yoshimi which rhymes so now he has changed "no screaming!" to "Yoshimi!" in the same tone. So, I guess it's possible to get them to change saying their own names.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Natacha » Sat May 29, 2010 5:03 pm

Her name is Stewie...just wrong for a female bird and I do not want people, when they hear the name, to think of the TV show "Family Guy" (which I can not stand).

The name would have to go.

I've been thinking of changing it to Pixel with Pixie as a nickname.
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Postby Java » Sat May 29, 2010 5:37 pm

Mine is not a rescue, cept I guess you could say I rescued him from pet shop, where he was in a plexiglass cubicle with no perches or bird things, but his name is Java, but I call him many different things, one of them being KiKu cause one of the word/sound he makes sounds like KiKu. I don't know why I don't just change his name to KiKu. It just won't stick all the time like Java does.

I had asked the lady at petshop what they were calling him, and she said nothing cause they had just gotten him in, so they didn't name him yet.
Java
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Jenday Conure
Flight: No

Postby Natacha » Sat May 29, 2010 7:38 pm

Java wrote:Mine is not a rescue, cept I guess you could say I rescued him from pet shop, where he was in a plexiglass cubicle with no perches or bird things, but his name is Java, but I call him many different things, one of them being KiKu cause one of the word/sound he makes sounds like KiKu. I don't know why I don't just change his name to KiKu. It just won't stick all the time like Java does.

I had asked the lady at petshop what they were calling him, and she said nothing cause they had just gotten him in, so they didn't name him yet.

My birds have multiple nicknames as well.
However, when I do want them to do something specific I use their actual name.

And in this case, we are talking about a name that has been stuck to the bird for a few years.
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Postby pchela » Sat May 29, 2010 10:51 pm

I bet Pixie would work well because it has the same ending as Stewie and because it is two syllables. Also, Pixie is an adorable name!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby lzver » Sun May 30, 2010 2:19 pm

When Jessie was at the pet store ... his name was Tucker and because they interacted with him alot he responded to the name. The name had to go because he didn't want a bird with his ex's last name ;o)

We didn't want to confuse him in the store, so we waited until we brought him home to change his name to Jessie. It took about a week for him to start responding ... but then again, he was only 3 months old.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Natacha » Sun May 30, 2010 4:08 pm

Well I'll see how things go.

I first need to bring this bird to the vet and see if it's healthy. I'm pretty sure everything will come back ok but I'd rather be sure and not risk exposing my birds to anything since even attempting quarantine here won't be the bestest quarantine I could practice. So at least clearing everything I can with the vet doing blood work and an full examination and waiting for the results before bringing this little one home.

If everything comes back perfect, then I'll start thinking about the name change more.
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Next

Return to General & Off Topic