Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Weird question

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Weird question

Postby tacotaco » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:18 am

After this post, I looked into the subject a little more. I was kind of sad on what I read (see below.) If this is factual, I am going to say that Charlie is actually a GIRL! :( Lol Of course this wouldn't matter, but I just was hopeful that it was a male. I'm not going to really assume anything til an actual blood test is done, but at the moment that is not something I want to do yet.

This is what I read from the bird channel:

Masturbating

Description: Masturbation is sexual activity performed by a single pet bird, usually on a favored toy, perch, or in some cases, a human’s head, hand, foot or toe.

Symptoms:
Single males most commonly masturbate. A male masturbates by bending its tail under the object, then rubbing its vent on it. Females masturbate by leaning forward and backing up while placing her vent on an object with her tail up and to the side. Both of these behaviors approximate what a bird would do during copulation.
(Charlie more backs up into objects rather than sticks the tail under.)

Immediate Care: If done infrequently, behaviorists say masturbation is healthy, allowing the bird a natural release. If your bird is masturbating too often, you can often stop the behavior by removing the favored object. If the bird tries to masturbate on a human, gently but firmly tell your bird “No,” and return it to the cage. Some birds regurgitate excessively on a toy as a part of masturbatory activity. Removing this toy will be helpful in curbing this behavior.

Long Term Care: Provide a masturbation toy for you bird occasionally, if necessary, but do not allow masturbating to become a frequent habit, as it can damage the cloaca and cause infection. Discuss this with your avian veterinarian if you feel that this behavior is becoming problematic or if it is excessive. Your vet can refer you to a bird behaviorist who can assist you in redirecting your bird’s behavior, once it has had a clean bill of health.
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:40 am

Charlie and Kimberly sitting in a tree... K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes love, then masturbation, then comes infertile egg laying. :?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby tacotaco » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:13 am

Michael wrote:Charlie and Kimberly sitting in a tree... K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes love, then masturbation, then comes infertile egg laying. :?

hahhaha nooooooo :lol: :P that is too funny.
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic