Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Forgot Parrot Out of Cage

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Forgot Parrot Out of Cage

Postby Michael » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:56 pm

Today I was really out of it. I had to go to a funeral and was rushing to get ready in time. I put Kili in her cage and dropped a bowl with food in the holder and immediately left. When I got home 7 hours later, I open the door to enter and there is Kili sitting on top of her cage getting all excited. Immediately I spotted the open cage door and I almost fell over. Meanwhile she was greeting me by saying "hello," eyes pinning, and clicking her beak. I expected to see papers torn up and keyboard destroyed. But to my surprise everything was just fine. Most of the poop was concentrated in the cage area and the other places she visited being safe and without problem. She didn't wreck the keyboard or go on my couch for that matter. From all evidence, it appears that she stayed on top of her cage the entire time and only paid a few short visits to other areas. Luckily my home is bird proofed and nothing important or dangerous is left out. It appears that she behaved no different than if I were home to supervise her when she is out.

I'm not saying I would do this again or that it's a good idea, but I am happy to see that she is pretty well behaved in general. The good news is that she was out mid day and she is used to normally just spending quiet time in her cage relaxing during this time (she's much more active in the evenings). Furthermore I had flown her in the park this morning and showered her. So she was probably tired and mellow from the exercise and moisture. I still have to be cautious not to tread in little nuggets but it looks like all ended well. Normally I'm good about closing the cage right away but I was in a terrible rush and must have missed it when I focused on getting food in instead.

I didn't punish her or immediately put her away into the cage. But I didn't give her attention either. I just left her out another half hour and put her away unrelated later.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Forgot Parrot Out of Cage

Postby tacotaco » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:09 am

Kili is a good bird, glad to hear nothing got ruined!
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:27 am

I remembered the situation that caused me to forget Kili's cage open. I was in a big hurry to get out so I threw some pellets in Kili's bowl and dropped it into the ring in the food door. I locked the food door but Kili was still out of the cage. Rather than taking time to put her in the cage, I let her climb in herself while I would take care of other things (with the intention to come and close the cage door). Well that's how I forgot to close the cage door. If I put her in by hand as I normally do, I would have immediately closed the cage (no reason to leave it open). But since she was taking her time climbing in herself, I got distracted and forgot to come back and close it. Moral of the story? If you have a routine, stick to it in difficult situations cause then things won't get messed up.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby tacotaco » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:09 pm

thats understandable. funny cause on thursday I was leaving for work. The woman who cleans our house was coming and my mom always makes sure that I clean my room before the lady comes to clean it (go figure..) so as i was walking out the door my mom screamed my name n said "Charlie isn't in his cage!!" (my moms afraid of him) i just totally forgot to put him away, he was being so quiet when i walked out and hes usually not. probably would've scared the crap out of the cleaning woman but im sure if he was out and my mom HAD to get him in his cage she might be able to.
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:23 pm

What a good girl Kili is!
Our birds spend time out of their cage sometimes. Tim our Red Wing is very much anti-touch. He spent his first 3-4 yrs in a pet shop and wasn't hand-reared, so everything we do with Tim is purely voice commands. 99% of the time, you can walk up to him + say off you, in your house and he'll fly off to their cage and walk down the ladder straight in. But if they've only been out a little while and I have to go out in a hurry, then I sometimes can't get him in, either because I try to rush him/come on too forceful, or because he's decided he doesn't want to go away yet. He also won't go in if the Cockatiels are in the cage already. So sometime him and Prince spend time out by themselves if i'm not going to be gone long, or if someone's coming home soon. I just shut off the doors to either end of the house + they barely ever touch anything. Our house is pretty bird proof, except for all the little things mum puts up that Prince likes to knock off onto the ground. Some things have been siliconed on to stop him knocking them off. They usually just spend time in their tree talking to the birds outside, oh and any papers on the tables WILL be on the floor by the end of the day, but never chewed. They're good boys.
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby Banksie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:26 am

Wow, what an amazing well-behaved little bird Kili is! If I did similar, I don't think there would be much left. I think the keyboard would be the first thing Monkey would chew to pieces, then he'd move on to all manner of things in my flat. Apart from the red ball...he HATES the red ball!
Banksie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 16
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, 2x Budgerigars, 5x Zebra Finches, 4x Bengalese Finches, 2x Chinese Painted Quails, 2x Red-Eared Waxbills.

Return to General & Off Topic