Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Raging Debates

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Do you like the debates on the forum?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes : 17

Raging Debates

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:16 am

There have been numerous raging debates on this forum over time. Some about whether it's acceptable to clip wings or not, the most recent, if it's alright for people without parrot experience to jump right into owning a large/difficult parrot. How do you feel about the debates? Do you participate in them or avoid them? Do the debates draw you to theparrotforum or away from? Do you feel that the debates are civil (without hard feelings) or upsetting? Do you feel that these are important issues to discuss both sides of?

Have you ever been "converted" by things you've heard in any of the debates and changed your opinion on the subject as a result?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Raging Debates

Postby lzver » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:30 am

Yes, I enjoy a good debate. I typically post my opinion and then sit back and read. If I'm asked to clarify or a question has been asked based on my opionin, I will respond.

I find that this forum is an exception and that is why I have stuck around. I've been on many message boards and mailing lists where people constantly take offense to what others say and then it just turns into a fight. For the most part I find them to be healthy debates on this forum.

I can't say my opinion has ever been swayed but on occassion it is helpful when someone debates on the opposite side of you. I typically learn something new or look at something in a different light.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Kim S » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:31 am

I love the debates. I try to put in my few cents, but I'm afraid I'm not able to bring my point across since English isn't my first language.
But everyone is really nice to eachother. You listen to eachothers statements and react to that. Even if you disagree, you agree to disagree (does that make sence?).
For me it's a good way to see how 'America' thinks about certain issues. Fot instance, in America it's the norm to clip your birds wings, even cockatiels and budgies. That's just not done in Holland.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby Marnie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:34 am

its always good to hear "both side of the fence" so to speak. the benefit of these debates is that we always learn something and thats a good thing. ;)
Marnie
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: IRN
LoveBirds
Flight: No

Postby Banksie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:40 am

I agree, there's no harm in a friendly debate and it provides many different angles for someone looking for information. I, personally, was dead against wing-clipping but reading that debate thread, while it hasn't swayed me completely, has made me soften my views on it and understand that in some circumstances it might be appropriate.
Banksie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 16
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, 2x Budgerigars, 5x Zebra Finches, 4x Bengalese Finches, 2x Chinese Painted Quails, 2x Red-Eared Waxbills.

Postby MandyG » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:51 am

I mostly enjoy the debates. It brings up a lot of points that most people (including myself) would not have thought about a certain subject. I may not agree with some of those opinions but it gives me an opportunity to learn about another point of view whether I agree with it or not.

For the most part I find that debating on this forum is handled very maturely, if that wasn't the case they would definitely keep me from returning.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby HyperD » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:44 am

Debates are healthy and as everyone has pointed out they go well here and everyone respects each other.... Is this the first thread where everyone is in agreement?
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:03 pm

I think the debates here are as mature and dispassionate as I've seen on any internet forum. I try to never, ever get personal and I try to distinguish between opinion and fact, and I feel most of the other participants do as well. I certainly have learned quite a bit from reading them, and some of my opinions, while not changed, are also softened, as Banskie has said.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Natacha » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:46 pm

I participate in the debates; I normally post what I have to say and then read what others have to say. Occasionally I'll post more if I feel the need to or if someone asks me a specific question.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby TheNzJessie » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:49 am

i love debates. i often disagree to make it more interesting :)
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Next

Return to General & Off Topic